Fw: Volunteering at Plants for a Future

  • Graham Burnett
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2003

      Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2003 11:50 AM
      Subject: Volunteering at Plants for a Future

      Who fancies it?

      Volunteering
      We also need people-power on our sites. Tasks can range from tree planting to propagation for the catalogue, with lots of watering as well. Volunteering is an excellent way of picking up first hand plant knowledge.
      Please don't just turn up on the doorstep though: we may not be on site or be in a position to show volunteers around. It is essential that you ring first and arrange a time to come and volunteer. The best time to volunteer or come and visit often surround the events we have planned, especially The South West Permaculture Convergence June 29/30th, and Shaping The Future Of Plants For A Future - 2 Sept 20th - 23rd. The latter part of June and all of August/September are especially good times for volunteers.
      You can volunteer at either site. To volunteer at our Devon site where we are constructing our demonstration gardens ring 0845 458 4719 or write to
      Plants For A Future,
      Blagdon Cross,
      Ashwater,
      Beaworthy,
      Devon,
      EX21 5DF,
      England

      To volunteer at our Cornwall site ring 01208 873 554 or write to

      Plants For A Future,
      The Field,
      St Veep,
      Lostwithiel,
      Cornwall,
      PL22 0QJ
      Be warned that facilities at both sites are very basic. We have no mains connections so water comes from filtered rain water, electricity from a small wind generator. We are three miles from the nearest village and ten from the nearest town so it will be a good idea if you bring your own food (there is a lot growing at the Cornwall site but its pretty unconventional stuff, so if you can't live without potatoes come prepared). Furthermore the site is heavy clay soil which turns to mud very easily: wellies are essential. Accommodation is very basis consisting of some caravans. Depending on numbers all the caravans may be taken, please ring first for details. There is lots of space for camping. All in all you should be self reliant and bring everything you are likely to need.
      We don't have any funds to pay for expenses or bursaries. However several people have been able to gain funds through such schemes as the millennium volunteers which has enabled them to visit us for extended periods.