Re: [pfaf] Jacob's Tears (croix lachryma-jobi)

  • Ken Fern
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2003
      The Pin Yin (Chinese medicinal name) for Coix lacryma-jobi is Yi Yi Ren,
      whilst barley is called Mai Ya.

      Yi Yi Ren can be obtained as a grain from Chinese food shops, but if you
      want to make sure you get the variety used medicinally (called Ma Yuen) then
      you are best advised to go to a Chinese Herbalist. There are several
      herbalists in the area of China town in London that supply the seed. If you
      want to buy a kilo or more then you can save money by going direct to a
      Chinese Herbal wholesaler called Herbs Kingdom which is located in
      south-east London (I do not have the address or phone number handy, but can
      get them for you if Directory Enquiries cannot help you).

      It is probably not very viable obtaining the whole seed since it has a very
      tough seedcoat and so is very difficult to utilise.

      The seed has several names in India, in Sanskrit it is known as Gavedhu or
      Javgadi. In Hindi it is called Gurlu or Sankru. It has various other local
      names throughout the country.

      I hope this is helpful

      Ken Fern