Organic mulch for trees

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 11, 2008
      I'm trying to suss out a practical organic mulch for trees. I've tried
      commerically available biodegradable mulch mats which I would say
      failed miserably. I'm considering sawdust and/or wood chips. Leaves are
      the obvious one, but can blow around...I have some manure available,
      but stuff will grow out of that frantically as its well rotted down
      now.

      Any thoughts?
    • Clews
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 11, 2008
        Leaves and twiggy bits are the best mulch, if available mulching straw is
        good, and can be laid on top in a thin layer to stop them blowing around.
        Sawdust/woodchips will take all the nitrogen out of the soil while the stuff
        is rotting down, unless the sawdust/woodchips is rotted down already or you
        add extra nitrogen to the soil. Leaves also work if you can plant small low
        plants around the area to trap the leaves and provide a natural living
        mulch. Composted manure should be put around the trees underneath the
        mulch. We put much of most our trimmings back on the garden as mulch. I
        will not advise you on what plants to grow for mulch as it depends on your
        geographical situation.

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 11, 2008
          All that you have chosen will work. Mulch occurs naturally if you look under the trees that are in the forest.
          Wolf

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 12, 2008
            most mulches need re-doing after the first year, or at least clearing around. I've found that on a par are either:
            - old hessian backed carpets
            - biodegradable mulch mats - actually ok but need clearing on top of the same as carpets
            - cardboard with wood chips or leaves on top (if near a woodland seems obvioius choice) - a good3-4 inch layer covering all edges of cardboard. They recommend chips about 6 months old to prevent nitrogen absorption as it rots but Martin Crawford found that even new chips don't make a massive difference.

            I wouldn't recommend either sawdust (absorbs nitrogen more than wood chips) or manure as this would really encourage weedy species & benefit these more than the trees - like you say will grow frantically!

            Good luck with it, Liz
            I'm trying to suss out a practical organic mulch for trees. I've tried
            commerically available biodegradable mulch mats which I would say
            failed miserably. I'm considering sawdust and/or wood chips. Leaves are
            the obvious one, but can blow around...I have some manure available,
            but stuff will grow out of that frantically as its well rotted down
            now.

            Any thoughts?

            __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 3605 (20081112) __________

            http://www.eset.com

          • ossi
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 12, 2008
              Hi

              I prefer using chipped branches, manually less than 7 mm in diameter or
              mechanically less than 7 cm in diameter - as these contain optimal ratio
              of carbon and plant nutrients (using mostly decidious, about 1/5th
              coniferous species) ... Covering chips with a layer or two of
              hay/grass/leaf mulch seems to result optimal decomposition of wood chips
              seen as dark humus even after one season, so adding wet leafmulch for
              winter and more chips in spring seems reasonable... Small coniferous
              branches (less than 7 mm in diameter) seem to be quite useful after
              after 1 year in covered heap and chipping with a sharp shovel and spread
              for raspberries, crowberries etc. Those could also be kept on pathways
              for 1-2 years before using as mulch, but they're not so nice to walk on
              with bare feet... Tree trunks have usually too high carbon content, so
              they're better for some other use like carpentry, construction, fuels
              and so on ...

              cordially,
              ossi kakko (from fennoscandia)

              > most mulches need re-doing after the first year, or at least clearing
              > around. I've found that on a par are either:
              > - old hessian backed carpets
              > - biodegradable mulch mats - actually ok but need clearing on top of the
              > same as carpets
              > - cardboard with wood chips or leaves on top (if near a woodland seems
              > obvioius choice) - a good3-4 inch layer covering all edges of cardboard.
              > They recommend chips about 6 months old to prevent nitrogen absorption as
              > it rots but Martin Crawford found that even new chips don't make a massive
              > difference.
              >
              > I wouldn't recommend either sawdust (absorbs nitrogen more than wood
              > chips) or manure as this would really encourage weedy species & benefit
              > these more than the trees - like you say will grow frantically!
              >
              > Good luck with it, Liz

            • Allmende Verden
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 12, 2008
                Zitat von Clews <adsl8633@...>:

                Sawdust/woodchips will take all the nitrogen out of the soil while the stuff
                > is rotting down, unless the sawdust/woodchips is rotted down already or you
                > add extra nitrogen to the soil.

                As far as I know this problem just occurs in the first year. After
                that, soillife adapted to the corbon-accented mulch and many organisms
                fixing nitrogen from the air will have established.

                greetings from Klaus
              • Jim
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 16, 2008
                  --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Liz Turner" <liz@...> wrote:

                  > most mulches need re-doing after the first year, or at least
                  clearing around. I've found that on a par are either:
                  > - old hessian backed carpets
                  > - biodegradable mulch mats - actually ok but need clearing on top
                  of the same as carpets

                  No, the grass just grew through them in about 3 months I would say -
                  much thinner and less effective than natural material carpet. Not
                  practical to use natural material carpet due to large amount needed
                  and difficulty inh getting required type of carpet.

                  Looks like its the glyphosphate then!