Jacob's Tears (croix lachryma-jobi)

  • benfordlaw
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1 1:33 AM
      In view of its apparent anti-cancer properties I went to China town in
      London to buy a couple of pounds to sprinkle on my daily muesli. I was
      not successful, because I was not able to ensure that what they were
      selling me was not barley. I was not able to resolve the difference
      because the Chinese name for both appears to be the same.

      Does anyone have a uk source for it in whole grain form?

      I now realise that it is also to be found in India and so I might be
      able to buy it in a local Indian supermarket.

      Does anyone know of the Indian name for it?

      An added problem is that there are different varieties and I want the
      one that is most cancer effective. That is the one to be found in
      southeast China. I say this without knowing if the Indian version is
      the same.

      Here is some background information taken from

      http://i-sis.org.uk/full/GCM2Full.php

      "Chinese pearl barley the latest cancer cure

      It has long been suspected that the low cancer rates in southeast
      China could be due to a dietary staple in the region, Coix
      lachryma-jobi, or Jobs's tears, a relative of maize.

      The species appears to be widely distributed throughout the world. The
      seeds, shaped like tear drops and coloured greyish white to dark
      brown, are often used as beads in necklaces because they come with a
      perforating hole from one end to the other. When shelled, the kernel
      is white and looks like barley; and indeed, is referred to as such.
      Its Chinese name, yi-yi-jen, or yi-mi (in southeast China) is the same
      as that used for barley, or yang-yi-mi, `yang' meaning `foreign', or
      `across the ocean'.

      Yi-mi is used in soups and porridges and is a common ingredient in
      many herbal medicines for treating a variety of ailments including
      cancer. It has also been widely used as a diuretic, analgesic and
      antispasmodic agent."
    • Richard Morris
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1 2:30 AM
        benfordlaw wrote:
        > In view of its apparent anti-cancer properties I went to China town in
        > London to buy a couple of pounds to sprinkle on my daily muesli. I was
        > not successful, because I was not able to ensure that what they were
        > selling me was not barley. I was not able to resolve the difference
        > because the Chinese name for both appears to be the same.

        Note we have a slightly different spelling for the latin name
        Coix lacryma-jobi.

        A good source for names of plants is
        The Multilingual Multiscript Plant Name Database entry for the plant
        is at
        http://gmr.landfood.unimelb.edu.au/Plantnames/Sorting/Coix.html

        The page appeared to be down today you can see a google's copy at
        http://216.239.39.100/search?q=cache:_REaqS0xeIUJ:gmr.landfood.unimelb.edu.au/Plantnames/Sorting/Coix.html+coix+Multilingual+Multiscript+Plant+Name+Database&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

        Rich
        --
        Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
        Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3 11:48 PM
          The Pin Yin (Chinese medicinal name) for Coix lacryma-jobi is Yi Yi Ren,
          whilst barley is called Mai Ya.

          Yi Yi Ren can be obtained as a grain from Chinese food shops, but if you
          want to make sure you get the variety used medicinally (called Ma Yuen) then
          you are best advised to go to a Chinese Herbalist. There are several
          herbalists in the area of China town in London that supply the seed. If you
          want to buy a kilo or more then you can save money by going direct to a
          Chinese Herbal wholesaler called Herbs Kingdom which is located in
          south-east London (I do not have the address or phone number handy, but can
          get them for you if Directory Enquiries cannot help you).

          It is probably not very viable obtaining the whole seed since it has a very
          tough seedcoat and so is very difficult to utilise.

          The seed has several names in India, in Sanskrit it is known as Gavedhu or
          Javgadi. In Hindi it is called Gurlu or Sankru. It has various other local
          names throughout the country.

          I hope this is helpful

          Ken Fern