Thanks for postage, walnuts, toxins and trees, oh my!

  • charfair fairchar
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2008
      Maarten said that black walnuts can be used to dye clothes. I know that
      there was a science piece on the National Public Radio in the US about how
      all trees have toxins, and that is why there may not be a variety in a
      forest. Leaves alone can kill other trees because of toxins. I still have
      black fingertips from the opening of one walnut. My father would soak them
      to use with his gun barrels, and rifle barrels to change that color.

      Thank you George for the postage. I hope you found the cherries and the
      lemons in the plastic sacks packed with the walnuts. I don't know if
      cherries would grow for you in your zone. I know that I just used the
      poncirus trifoliata Flying Dragon lemon for a recipe I made up with sweet
      potatoes, sugar, cloves, and nutmeg. People ate it. My husband told me not
      to tell anyone I am using foods that aren't from the grocery store, and
      people will eat it. It is true! I have never had fresh cherries until I
      found that tree this year, and I thought they might be crab apples until I
      tasted them.

      Behind my fence there is a variety of trees. I have tulip poplars, maples,
      dogwoods and a few I do not know. All deciduous, except for the blasted
      private and honeysuckle. I planted a crab apple on the outskirts of this.

      --
      Charlotte Fairchild Liphart
      Hiram, GA