Re: Old Uk apple varieties

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2008
      OOO sounds lovly. You'll have to cut and paste the entire link into
      the browser - it does that sometimes (I mean not having the entire
      link address so that it doesn't automatically).

      Jim

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Lloyd" <mary@...> wrote:

      > Hi Jim and everyone who replied on the apple topic. This link
      doesn't seem to work Jim btw.
      > Many thanks for comments. I now have seed, AND a little
      plantlet from the root, plus I will be taking pieces for grafting
      onto an existing apple in the garden. I might just as well go for it.
      > The apple itself is supremely aromatic, very tasty and sharp
      enough for cooking. I wondered if it might be an apple crossed with a
      quince because it is yellow and the shape is very similar, but the
      flesh is juicy, with all the characteristics of a cooking apple
      except it has a fragrance 10 times more powerful than Bramley.
      > Who knows, I may have seedlings next year!
      > Much love from Whinnie

    • Ute Bohnsack
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2008
        Hi,
        The Irish Seedsavers Association irishseedsavers.ie have done some work on
        self-rooting apple varieties.
        http://irishseedsavers.ie/article.php?artid=242

        There aren't many that can be propagated in this way.
        As to seeds, yes, some superb varieties are chance seedlings. However, I
        understand that chances of getting a good chance seedling are about 14,000 to 1.
        It really is a lottery.
        As a propagation method, i.e. to get the same good apple from which the seed was
        taken, the tree needs to be self-fertile and not many apple trees are. Plus
        there must not be another apple tree or crabapple tree within a considerable radius
        (bee range) that could cross-pollinate the tree.
        Most apples need one (diploid varieties), if not two (triploid varieties)
        pollination partner(s) of another compatible variety to set fruit (and thus seed)
        so by default the seed are "mixed breed".
        This is why apples are normally propagated by grafting and IMHO it's the only
        way you can propagate that lovely tree you found. If you are very lucky
        self-rooting will work but it's a gamble.

        HTH
        Ute
      • Richard Morris
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2008
          Has anyone mentioned Cool Temperate Permaculture, the chap there is
          very into "own-root" fruit trees
          http://www.cooltemperate.co.uk/own_root.shtml
          his catalogue has a number of varities which do well on their own roots.

          Rich
        • Marshall and Endemann
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 5, 2008
            > You'll have to cut and paste the entire link into
            > the browser - it does that sometimes (I mean not having the entire
            > link address so that it doesn't automatically).

            Hi Jim, I did that and there's still something wrong. It won't open for
            me.

            Chris

          • Bryn Thomas
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 6, 2008
              there's a sussex apple variety called tinsley quince cos its fruit are quince like. Are you in sussex?
              Bryn
            • Mary Lloyd
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 8, 2008
                Hi Bryn,
                I was born in Kent, lived in Surrey and worked a while in Sussex....lol...but I moved to Wales in my late teens and stayed here.
                Thanks for the info, I will look that up!
                Blessings
                Whinnie