Re: [pfaf] Old Uk apple varieties

  • Mary Lloyd
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2008
      Hi Jim and everyone who replied on the apple topic. This link doesn't seem to work Jim btw.
      Many thanks for comments. I now have seed, AND a little plantlet from the root, plus I will be taking pieces for grafting onto an existing apple in the garden. I might just as well go for it.
      The apple itself is supremely aromatic, very tasty and sharp enough for cooking. I wondered if it might be an apple crossed with a quince because it is yellow and the shape is very similar, but the flesh is juicy, with all the characteristics of a cooking apple except it has a fragrance 10 times more powerful than Bramley.
      Who knows, I may have seedlings next year!
      Much love from Whinnie
        OOO sounds lovly. You'll have to cut and paste the entire link into
        the browser - it does that sometimes (I mean not having the entire
        link address so that it doesn't automatically).

        Jim

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Lloyd" <mary@...> wrote:

        > Hi Jim and everyone who replied on the apple topic. This link
        doesn't seem to work Jim btw.
        > Many thanks for comments. I now have seed, AND a little
        plantlet from the root, plus I will be taking pieces for grafting
        onto an existing apple in the garden. I might just as well go for it.
        > The apple itself is supremely aromatic, very tasty and sharp
        enough for cooking. I wondered if it might be an apple crossed with a
        quince because it is yellow and the shape is very similar, but the
        flesh is juicy, with all the characteristics of a cooking apple
        except it has a fragrance 10 times more powerful than Bramley.
        > Who knows, I may have seedlings next year!
        > Much love from Whinnie

      • Ute Bohnsack
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2008
          Hi,
          The Irish Seedsavers Association irishseedsavers.ie have done some work on
          self-rooting apple varieties.
          http://irishseedsavers.ie/article.php?artid=242

          There aren't many that can be propagated in this way.
          As to seeds, yes, some superb varieties are chance seedlings. However, I
          understand that chances of getting a good chance seedling are about 14,000 to 1.
          It really is a lottery.
          As a propagation method, i.e. to get the same good apple from which the seed was
          taken, the tree needs to be self-fertile and not many apple trees are. Plus
          there must not be another apple tree or crabapple tree within a considerable radius
          (bee range) that could cross-pollinate the tree.
          Most apples need one (diploid varieties), if not two (triploid varieties)
          pollination partner(s) of another compatible variety to set fruit (and thus seed)
          so by default the seed are "mixed breed".
          This is why apples are normally propagated by grafting and IMHO it's the only
          way you can propagate that lovely tree you found. If you are very lucky
          self-rooting will work but it's a gamble.

          HTH
          Ute
        • Richard Morris
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 5, 2008
            Has anyone mentioned Cool Temperate Permaculture, the chap there is
            very into "own-root" fruit trees
            http://www.cooltemperate.co.uk/own_root.shtml
            his catalogue has a number of varities which do well on their own roots.

            Rich
          • Marshall and Endemann
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2008
              > You'll have to cut and paste the entire link into
              > the browser - it does that sometimes (I mean not having the entire
              > link address so that it doesn't automatically).

              Hi Jim, I did that and there's still something wrong. It won't open for
              me.

              Chris

            • Bryn Thomas
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 6, 2008
                there's a sussex apple variety called tinsley quince cos its fruit are quince like. Are you in sussex?
                Bryn
              • Mary Lloyd
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 8, 2008
                  Hi Bryn,
                  I was born in Kent, lived in Surrey and worked a while in Sussex....lol...but I moved to Wales in my late teens and stayed here.
                  Thanks for the info, I will look that up!
                  Blessings
                  Whinnie