Re: [pfaf] apple cuttings

    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 2, 2008
      That is aproximately the way rootstocks are produced commercially. i.e. by
      upearthing trees / their branches.
      Doing this , using "repeated young growth", will give easier and faster
      rooting.

      Geir Flatabø

    • Dee Harris
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 2, 2008
        When I was a kid, my father did a lot of grafting on his apple, pear and peach trees. It worked but the trees were sickly and didn't grow very strong. The root growing is one thing that I've noticed when clearing out seedling from my garden that I had years ago. The roots do and can grow into a healthy tree, but you really don't need anything from the tap root. The longer and wider the feeder root the better for growing new trees. Here is where I would suggest lots and lots of leaf mulch from under much older trees. Plant the root very close to the surface of a container and keep it warm. It should do the rest itself.
        Wolf

        I just read a book written in 1928 in finnish about vegan organic
        horticulture. There was description how a group decided to stop
        grafting, while members could graft 1500 apple trees a day. They said it
        is far too time consuming and apx. life expectation for such trees is
        only 70 years. They propose using "root cuttings" instead as it's far
        more easier and give apx. life expectation of 150 - 400 years for a
        tree, depending if the tap root is cut or not... and every leaf will be
        exactly the same as in parent tree.

        The trick is that you have to root a lower branch through twisting it up
        as violently as possible without breaking it and then by covering the
        turning point with 30 cm of soil and moss on top of that ... it'
        written here that after the branch gets rooted (local varieties take 1
        year and trees that have been grafted for a long time can take up to 4
        years) - these roots can be succesfully used for "root cuttings" - and
        it's perfectly suitable for mass production of self rooted apple trees
        as well as plums, cherries, pears or anything else that is commonly
        grafted.

        Has someone experience with that?

        :) ossi kakko, fennoscandia

        PS. i have no, but have grown a lot of trees from seeds (still waiting for
        the first bloom) ... the same book says that the taproot should be cut
        away if sweeter apples are desired, but then trees don't live so long -
        only apx. 150 years ... and definitively start experimenting with this
        method.

        > It is possible to grow apple trees from cuttings but it is very difficult
        > and very slow. Even when you can get roots, it takes years for the
        > cutting to grow and usually produces small weak trees.
        >
        > It is far easier to graft them.
        >
        > Sara

      • brynbobthomas
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 5, 2008
          Propagation of the vast majority of apple varieties from cuttings is
          said to be diffiult & unreliable.

          However it is possible to grow apples on their own roots. The initail
          process is somewaht involved but once a variety is growing on its own
          roots root cuttings can be taken. We took our very late last season &
          didnt have a great take rate but the ones that did grow have grown
          very strongly & look very healthy.

          Work done by Hugh Ermen at Brogdale would suggest that the doption of
          own root trees could revolutionise apple growing, however his work
          was suppressed & unpublished as all the focus has been on developing
          rootstocks. The advantages of growing apples on their own roots
          should not be overlooked. Claims include:
          • Better tree health
          • Better resistance to pests and diseases
          • Better fruit set
          • Better overall fruit quality
          • Better flavour
          • Better storage life
          • Better ability to cope with poor soils and drought

          Links:
          • Info about Hugh Ermen's unpublished & supressed work at Brogdale
          can be found at: http://www.orangepippin.com/articles/own-roots.aspx
          • Info from Phil Corbett @ cool temperate nursery, the only supplier
          of own root trees can be found at:
          http://www.cooltemperate.co.uk/own_root.shtml

          • We also do a course led by Phil:
          http://www.brightonpermaculture.co.uk/courses_events/ownroot09.html

          Bryn

          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Sara Elbrai <selbrai@...> wrote:

          > It is possible to grow apple trees from cuttings but it is very
          difficult and very slow. Even when you can get roots, it takes years
          for the cutting to grow and usually produces small weak trees.

          > It is far easier to graft them.
          >
          > Sara

        • manofpeace32
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 9, 2008
            HI Wepping willow ( -- genus -- salix) is a rotting horome.
            you can soak the branches/ leaves in water for a few days then put some
            cuttings in it.

            I never used it yet I'v used rotting hormone,
            but I think I will give it a try --Im not sure if my rotting hormone
            isn't good any more, but I hear good things about willow(salix) on a
            Organic gardening homesteading forum.

            Oh Also The cuttings wouldn't hurt in the dark thats heat I've done
            with grapes. I have also put the container on top My furnance to keep
            the bottom of the buds warm (It can melt if it is styro foam)

            I have also seen some one make a green house with a aquarium with
            light, with tape lines and those scotch tape stripes block half the
            light.

            As a matter of fact
            I was suppoosed to pick up a aquarium for that last night on my bike
            That I hid, On the bike trail, but I guess some one found it.

            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Lloyd" <mary@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            ...I was wondering if anyone has successfully rooted an apple twig in
            water or directly in the earth? it would save a lot of trouble and time.
            > Thanks and love
            > Whinnie

          • ciprian muntean
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 11, 2008
            • Peter Ellis
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 11, 2008
                The message <271095.28299.qm@...>
                from ciprian muntean <cipm66@...> contains these words:

                > Check this link about root hormone from willow
                > http://www.garden-helper.com/Articles/Make-Your-Own-Rooting-Hormone.asp

                That is useful! I was trying to find some rooting hormone the other day.

                Cheers

                Peter
              • Sara Elbrai
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 15, 2008
                  I agree that more work should be done on root cuttings, but we know there are some significant issues.

                  Some trees are simply not very vigorous on their own roots or are susceptible to disease or have difficulty growing in cerain soil conditions. That gives an edge to being able to choose rootstock for grafts.

                  Many apple tree varieties no longer exist on their own roots at all or perhaps exist as only one or two rooted trees.

                  Sara

> [...]
                  > >
                  > > > From: Mary Lloyd <mary@...>
                  > > > Subject: [pfaf] apple cuttings
                  > > > To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
                  > > > Date: Saturday, November 1, 2008, 8:14 AM
                  > > > Hi all,
                  > > > Does anyone know if it is possible to grow
                  > an apple
                  > > > tree from a cutting? There is a very old one in a
                  > park
                  > > > locally and the flavour of the fruit is
                  > wonderful. One day I
                  > > > am afraid someone will want to cut it down and
                  > just in case
                  > > > they do, I would like to make sure I can still
                  > have some of
                  > > > those apples.
                  > > > I read up on grafting, and it seems an
                  > awful
                  > > > faff...I was wondering if anyone has successfully
                  > rooted an
                  > > > apple twig in water or directly in the earth? it

                • Bryn Thomas
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 29, 2008
                    Apple on their own roots display a wide spectrum of rigours from equivalent to M9 through to MM111, so some varieties will form small trees of low vigour, though this may be desirable at times.

                    More work needs to be done, but it may well be true to say that some varieties on their own roots will perform poorly on certain soils, however conversely it may also be true that some will perform significantly better than grafted trees on other soils.

                    The logical extension of this work may be that each OR apple variety may well have its own niche, possibly offering significant diversification in how we might be able to cultivate apples.

                    It is possible to get any variety growing on its own roots again by nurse grafting.

                    Bryn
                  • Mary Lloyd
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 30, 2008
                      Hi Bryn, thanks for this.
                      I now have 3 root cuttings from that fab old apple variety with the quince shape, so I am hoping to get at least one tree. Just lately I was thinking, oh Lord, I haven't got room for more than one tree if they are going to be the same size as the parent tree, so reading this, maybe I don't have to worry.
                      Love, Whinnie

                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 30, 2008
                        I would like to learn more about rootstocks and denomination of it. I
                        mean to know more about "equivalent to M9 through to MM111"
                        Can anybody provide a complete list, probable with some accompanying
                        explanation? Or good urls about it?
                        Thanks a lot for it.
                        Leo Flandriae

                        In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Lloyd" <mary@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Bryn, thanks for this.
                        > I now have 3 root cuttings from that fab old apple variety
                        with the quince shape, so I am hoping to get at least one tree. Just
                        lately I was thinking, oh Lord, I haven't got room for more than one
                        tree if they are going to be the same size as the parent tree, so
                        reading this, maybe I don't have to worry.
                        > Love, Whinnie

                      • Bryn Thomas
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 5, 2008
                          2 web sites that list main UK apple rootstocks:
                          http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/rootstocks.aspx?fruittype=0
                          http://www.brogdale.org/chooserootstock.html
                          Surprisingly brogadale don't list MM111, an excellent rootstock in my limited experience
                        • Bryn Thomas
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 5, 2008
                            Hi Whinnie

                            I'm sure you are aware of this, but just in case...
                            Most apples are grafted & so root cuttings will be of the rootstock not the variety & will be completely different. If however the tree is already growing on its own roots its root cutting babbies will probably reach the same size!

                            Bryn
                          • Mary Lloyd
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 15, 2008
                              Thank you Bryn!
                              I am taking a chance that it isn't grafted as it is quite an old tree. But also will try to do some normal grafting from it onto another tree we already have, just to make sure we get the fruit. It really is a wonderful flavour, looking and smelling like quince, and golden yellow, but tasting like a highly aromatic apple. I passed the tree the other day and there is fruit still on the parent even in this freezing weather, but no leaves left. Seems unusual.
                              Nice to hear from you.
                              Love, Whinnie
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 16, 2008
                                Hi Whinnie, don't hit me on the head for this but are you sure it
                                isn't actually a quince? It sounds like one.
                                Munching apples and quinces here in Kent,
                                Griselda

                                On 16 Dec 2008, at 00:29, Mary Lloyd wrote:

                                > Thank you Bryn!
                                > I am taking a chance that it isn't grafted as it is quite an old
                                > tree. But also will try to do some normal grafting from it onto
                                > another tree we already have, just to make sure we get the fruit.
                                > It really is a wonderful flavour, looking and smelling like quince,
                                > and golden yellow, but tasting like a highly aromatic apple. I
                                > passed the tree the other day and there is fruit still on the
                                > parent even in this freezing weather, but no leaves left. Seems
                                > unusual.
                                > Nice to hear from you.
                                > Love, Whinnie

                                The news isn't that fruits and vegetables are good for you ~ it's
                                that they are so good for you they could save your life.
                                By David Bjerklie, TIME Magazine, October 20,
                                2003
                                Juice PLUS+ Capsules contain 17 fruits, vegetables, oats and grains.
                                The ingredients are apples, cranberries, dates, oranges, papaya,
                                peaches, pineapples, beets, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, kale,
                                tomatoes, parsley, garlic, spinach, rice bran (no gluten), and oats
                                (no gluten).
                                and ~ NEW - Juice PLUS+ Vineyard Blend adds Blueberries, Cranberries,
                                Concorde Grape, Blackberries, Bilberries, Grape Seed, Raspberry,
                                Elderberries, Red Currants, and Black Currants.
                                Check it out www.juiceplus.co.uk/+gm027255

                              • Mary Lloyd
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 16, 2008
                                  Hi Griselda!
                                  Yes, I am sure it isn't a quince. My sister grows quinces and sends me some every year, and they have different taste, not really something you would sink your teeth into! Also they have that fluffy downy stuff on the outside, which these apples don't: their skins are thin and progressively waxy in keeping.
                                  The flavour of this is like the most superb cooking apple, deeply aromatic and far superior to Bramley. It is tart but not bitter in the slightest, and becomes rich with the adding of sugar. The texture is not so apt to fluff up in the cooking as Bramley is, it holds its shape. But it is juicy and soft and not in the slightest chewy or grainy.
                                  Now I am getting hungry, haha.
                                  If I have some success with this I will let you know!
                                  Happy Christmas everyone.
                                  Love, Whinnie

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 19, 2008
                                    A further note. Probably 99.99% of apple trees are grafted, which has been common practice since before Roman times. Exceptions are apples grown from seed [most of which dont give good fruit] or trees that have managed to put down roots from the trunk or branches cos they fallen over or the ground level has changed.

                                    Bryn
                                  • Bryn Thomas
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 19, 2008