Is Pseudognaphalium californicum (a type of cudweed) edible?

  • chau_ee_tran
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2008
      Hi everyone (I'm new here),
      Does anyone here know whether this type of cudweed (Pseudognaphalium
      californicum) is edible? I'm asking b/c there is a traditional
      Vietnamese sticky rice dish that uses a related(?) plant called Jersey
      Cudweed (Gnaphalium affine D. Don), which grows in Asia, to give it a
      distinctive flavor that I want to try. But I live in SoCal, where the
      other type of cudweed is supposedly native & easy to find, and thought
      I might use this instead. I'm sure the flavor won't be exactly the
      same, but I've read that it's an aromatic as well. By the way, I've
      never tried Jersey Cudweed before, so I won't know how the aromas will
      compare. But I still like the idea of trying wild herbs that's
      abundant in my area. So if anyone knows anything about this plant,
      please do tell. Thanks!

      -Chau