Re: [pfaf] Crataegus schraderiana

  • Boomverzorging VZW
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 19, 2003
      When you want to produce plants by seed, there is always a risk of cross-pollination. It could lead to a hybrid that does not have good fruit. So maybe it could be more interesting to send cuttings from the plant.
      For cuttings you must be able to get a phytosantary rapport more easily than for plants, and you can be sure the plant is going to be a good fruiting plant.

      Wim peeters

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 19, 2003
        I've never had any luck striking cuttings of Crataegus species, though you can use winter cuttings to graft onto rootstocks.

        Our tree is fairly well isolated from other Crataegus species that are likely to hybridise with it, though as you say hybridisation is always a possibility.

        By the way, if anyone out there has succeeded with striking cuttings of Crataegus, please let me know your methods.

        Love

        Ken Fern
        When you want to produce plants by seed, there is always a risk of cross-pollination. It could lead to a hybrid that does not have good fruit. So maybe it could be more interesting to send cuttings from the plant.
        For cuttings you must be able to get a phytosantary rapport more easily than for plants, and you can be sure the plant is going to be a good fruiting plant.

        Wim peeters

        Does anyone know if it is possible to have Crataegus schraderiana shipped to the US?  I would really like to introduce this species to the US West Coast food foresters.

        Thanks,

        Rain

      • James M. Cheshire
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 24, 2003
          Hello, everyone. I'm new here; allow me to introduce
          myself. My name is James, I'm 18 and I hope to earn a
          masters in horticulture and open a nursery. I am very
          interested in 'new' crops, especially those native to
          the USA; I have studied, to some extent, the pawpaw
          (Asimina triloba) and the groundnut (Apios americana).
          Currently, however, I have a pet interest in the
          hawthorns (Crataegus). I am mostly concerned with
          their ornamental value, but after recently sampling
          the pome of a highly endemic Florida species, C.
          lacrimata, I became interested in fruit production.
          Which brings me to my question; where can I obtain
          that gem called Crataegus schraderiana? I was planning
          to try and hybridise it with American species of
          superior fruit quality, such as C. mollis, C.
          succulenta, C. flava, etc. And of course I want the
          fruit themselves! I'm looking for a source of either
          seeds or plants; it doesn't matter.

          Thanks!

          Sincerely,
          James