GROWING OWN ROOT FRUIT TREES - A two-day course

  • Kate
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 24, 2008
      GROWING OWN ROOT FRUIT TREES - A two-day course
      How to propagate and grow fruit trees without grafting. Fruit trees
      grown on their own roots are healthier and produce fruit of better
      quality, flavour & storage life.
      21-22 February 2009 - NOW TAKING BOOKINGS

      For full details & online reservation please visit:
      www.brightonpermaculture.co.uk
    • Mr frank bowman
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 25, 2008
        Hi. Course sounds interesting. I got 5 of 30 gage cuttings to grow this year.

        I love getting things free,because i dont have to do drudgery work for money+also not eating the planet, so i have 2thousand + monkey puzzle seeds,and 1thousand+ northern swt chestnut seeds for growing free trees nxt year.anyone whod like some for growing thatd be good. I would love lots kentish cobs,filberts for growing nxt year+others.like crataegus azeroles&arnoldiana+others.will write more later.xfrank

        Kate wrote:
        > GROWING OWN ROOT FRUIT TREES - A two-day course
        > How to propagate and grow fruit trees without grafting. Fruit trees
        > grown on their own roots are healthier and produce fruit of better
        > quality, flavour & storage life.
        > 21-22 February 2009 - NOW TAKING BOOKINGS
        > For full details & online reservation please visit:
        > www.brightonpermacu lture.co. uk

      • Mary Lloyd
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 25, 2008
          Hello Frank,
          So sad, there are no chestnut trees where I live in S. Wales....well only one or two.

          But what fun this time of year to forage for free plants that others have thrown out. On one little trip the other day I picked up a stunning red Geranium, a begonia and about 8 Dahlia tubers someone had thrown out. I know they are common plants but they are free, and who knows...next year they might make a nice display.

          It has motivated me to forage further this week-end. Truly people have no idea what treasures they have in their gardens, and just chuck the lot away when they get sick of it all.

          Their rubbish is my gain and I am having a lot of fun picking up what they don't want. It seems a green way to live, while others just use and dispose.
          Love, Whinnie

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 25, 2008
            Hi. Thats great :-) last year i picked up a sorry looking dried plant out of a shop bin&it grew&blossomed loads of pretty flowers :-) yes u have loads swt chestnuts down there,b u gotta search em out. Stepping stones at Redbrook have a big avenue of them spilling loads seeds evry year. I can send some. Wen i get on computer ill put details. Theres still lots swt chestnuts to collect n wales this an next wk.
            I luv seed collecting.+got an easy way growin thousands a trees+othas plant em,xfrank

            Mary Lloyd wrote:
            > Hello Frank,
            > So sad, there are no chestnut trees where I live in S. Wales....well only one or two.
            > But what fun this time of year to forage for free plants that others have thrown out. On one little trip the other day I picked up a stunning red Geranium, a begonia and about 8 Dahlia tubers someone had thrown out. I know they are common plants but they are free, and who knows...next year they might make a nice display.
            > It has motivated me to forage further this week-end. Truly people have no idea what treasures they have in their gardens, and just chuck the lot away when they get sick of it all.
            > Their rubbish is my gain and I am having a lot of fun picking up what they don't want. It seems a green way to live, while others just use and dispose.
            > Love, Whinnie

          • maartendeprez
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 26, 2008
              Frank,

              > so i have 2thousand monkey puzzle seeds,and 1thousand northern swt
              chestnut seeds for growing free trees nxt year. anyone whod like some
              for growing thatd be good.

              Oh, if you'd have some monkey puzzle seeds to spare... I've been
              looking for them for a long time. Want to plant in time for children
              and grandchildren. :-)

              > I would love lots kentish cobs

              I could probably find some Belgian wild hazelnuts for you, though they
              seem to be scarse this year. By the way there are wonderful cultivated
              hazel varieties. I've seen some with nuts two or three times as large
              as the wild ones - and plenty. Going to try those...

              Greetings,
              Maarten
            • Mr frank bowman
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 26, 2008
                Weh! Great stuff. I should be on the computer tomorrow.so will post details. :-) xfrank

                maartendeprez wrote:
                > Frank,
                >> so i have 2thousand monkey puzzle seeds,and 1thousand northern swt
                > chestnut seeds for growing free trees nxt year. anyone whod like some
                > for growing thatd be good.
                > Oh, if you'd have some monkey puzzle seeds to spare... I've been
                > looking for them for a long time. Want to plant in time for children
                > and grandchildren. :-)
                >> I would love lots kentish cobs
                > I could probably find some Belgian wild hazelnuts for you, though they
                > seem to be scarse this year. By the way there are wonderful cultivated
                > hazel varieties. I've seen some with nuts two or three times as large
                > as the wild ones - and plenty. Going to try those...
                > Greetings,
                > Maarten

              • Frank Bowman
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 27, 2008
                  Thats good Maarten. I shall send you some. Can you give me your mobile no, and Ill send you my address, then if you can send me some stamps, or a euro or two for postage., Ill send you some, how many do you want? xfrank

                  "Only when the last tree is cut; only when the last river is polluted; only when the last fish is caught; only then will they realize that you cannot eat money." Cree Proverb

                  So? --be an outlaw and a rebel, stop eating, consuming the earth up. do living simple and voluntary simplicity instead! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntary_simplicity and http://www.simpleliving.net/content/custom_voluntary_simplicity_part_1.asp

                  Gift economy, sharing, = abundance, all fed. sharing is about us, it is -
                  The gift economy, is community, voluntary work, family, co-operatives, open source, scientific knowledge sharing, matriarchical societies, free cycle, green movement, permaculture, forest gardening, the earth gives and gives and gives. see www.gift-economy.com

                  > so i have 2thousand monkey puzzle seeds,and 1thousand northern swt
                  chestnut seeds for growing free trees nxt year. anyone whod like some
                  for growing thatd be good.

                  Oh, if you'd have some monkey puzzle seeds to spare... I've been
                  looking for them for a long time. Want to plant in time for children
                  and grandchildren. :-)

                  > I would love lots kentish cobs

                  I could probably find some Belgian wild hazelnuts for you, though they
                  seem to be scarse this year. By the way there are wonderful cultivated
                  hazel varieties. I've seen some with nuts two or three times as large
                  as the wild ones - and plenty. Going to try those...

                  Greetings,
                  Maarten

                • ewojcieszak
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 1, 2008
                    Hi Maarten. Not sure if you'd be looking to part with any of those
                    2K monkey puzzle seeds, but if so I'd be interested. Just joined
                    this Yahoo group, so please let me know when you can. Thanks, Eric.

                    --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "maartendeprez" <maarten.deprez@...>