Crataegus schraderiana

  • Rain Tenaqiya
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 18, 2003
      Does anyone know if it is possible to have Crataegus schraderiana shipped to the US?  I would really like to introduce this species to the US West Coast food foresters.

      Thanks,

      Rain

      Richard Morris <webmaster@...> wrote:
      Plants For A Future - A pheonix from the ashes?

      Its time for a big re think at the Blagdon site. The
      first three years of the planning planning has now expired,
      and we are putting a new application together and are
      currently in discussion with the planners. Its now the perfect
      time to form a new group with a fresh out look and a number
      of new faces are already appearing. We will be holding
      regular meetings on the 3 weekend of each month starting on
      the 19th/20th July. If you want to get involved please
      come along to the meeting, ring 01208 872 963 for details.

      We've also come to the conclusion that we really have more
      land than we need. We would be happy to talk with groups
      and individuals looking for land.

      The immediate focus will be on making the site presentable
      and clear of tat. Good progress has been made in this direction:
      all the piles of hardcore have now been crushed and turned
      into a car park and big fun was had demolishing caravans.
      Theres still a few more to go if you fancy a bit of destruction!
      After that work will begin on planting around the entrance way.

      The Field in Cornwall is looking really vibrant at the moment,
      from a distance it really beginning to look like a woodland.
      Two new volunteers have been coming a couple of times a week
      and new volunteers are always welcome.

      Plans are afoot for getting the catalogue off the ground.
      We have already been in contact with a number of small nurseries
      who are growing plants for us. Together they can supply 175
      PFAF style plants.

      --
      Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
      Web:   http://www.pfaf.org/ same as http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/pfaf/

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • Ken Fern
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 18, 2003
        Dear Rain,

        Yes, it is possible to ship plants to the United States, though you would have to contact your local Government Department of Agriculture to see if Crataegus can be imported. If so, then you would also need to obtain a phytosanitary certificate from the nursery sending you the plants, to ensure that they were free of any pests or diseases. If you do take this route, then I could send you details of nurseries in Britain that supply the plant.

        Alternatively, you could try importing the seed. This is likely to be a lot easier and cheaper than plants, though it will take considerably longer to produce fruiting trees. If you would like to try the seed route, then we could send some seed from our tree at PFAF in Cornwall. It is a very good fruiter with heavy yields most years and excellent quality fruit.

        Please let us know by late August if you want seed.

        Love

        Ken Fern
        Does anyone know if it is possible to have Crataegus schraderiana shipped to the US?  I would really like to introduce this species to the US West Coast food foresters.

        Thanks,

        Rain

      • Boomverzorging VZW
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 19, 2003
          When you want to produce plants by seed, there is always a risk of cross-pollination. It could lead to a hybrid that does not have good fruit. So maybe it could be more interesting to send cuttings from the plant.
          For cuttings you must be able to get a phytosantary rapport more easily than for plants, and you can be sure the plant is going to be a good fruiting plant.

          Wim peeters

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 19, 2003
            I've never had any luck striking cuttings of Crataegus species, though you can use winter cuttings to graft onto rootstocks.

            Our tree is fairly well isolated from other Crataegus species that are likely to hybridise with it, though as you say hybridisation is always a possibility.

            By the way, if anyone out there has succeeded with striking cuttings of Crataegus, please let me know your methods.

            Love

            Ken Fern
            When you want to produce plants by seed, there is always a risk of cross-pollination. It could lead to a hybrid that does not have good fruit. So maybe it could be more interesting to send cuttings from the plant.
            For cuttings you must be able to get a phytosantary rapport more easily than for plants, and you can be sure the plant is going to be a good fruiting plant.

            Wim peeters

            Does anyone know if it is possible to have Crataegus schraderiana shipped to the US?  I would really like to introduce this species to the US West Coast food foresters.

            Thanks,

            Rain

          • James M. Cheshire
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 24, 2003
              Hello, everyone. I'm new here; allow me to introduce
              myself. My name is James, I'm 18 and I hope to earn a
              masters in horticulture and open a nursery. I am very
              interested in 'new' crops, especially those native to
              the USA; I have studied, to some extent, the pawpaw
              (Asimina triloba) and the groundnut (Apios americana).
              Currently, however, I have a pet interest in the
              hawthorns (Crataegus). I am mostly concerned with
              their ornamental value, but after recently sampling
              the pome of a highly endemic Florida species, C.
              lacrimata, I became interested in fruit production.
              Which brings me to my question; where can I obtain
              that gem called Crataegus schraderiana? I was planning
              to try and hybridise it with American species of
              superior fruit quality, such as C. mollis, C.
              succulenta, C. flava, etc. And of course I want the
              fruit themselves! I'm looking for a source of either
              seeds or plants; it doesn't matter.

              Thanks!

              Sincerely,
              James