Aloe vera plants

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2008
      Hi Karen, and sorry for the late reply. (sorry also if this is redundant.)

      I know you said you didn't want to buy expensive plants, but aloe does
      reproduce via sucker-like offshoots (I call them babies; others call them
      pups, and so on) which grow out from the base, and you could propagate
      almost unlimited plants over a period of time. You're better off growing
      them on your own no matter what they cost, because Aloe needs fairly little
      input and reproduces when it reaches maturity - this is more or less free.
      You could buy 4 small plants in a nursery and have 30 or more that size in
      18 months (along with your 4 adults).
      This would be a big batch of clones, though, and so I can understand you
      wanting to introduce diverse seed.
      PFAF's data says producing seed in the UK is highly unlikely.

      As for seeds, I can tell you that Horizon Herbs of Williams, Oregon has
      seeds for Cape Aloe (Aloe ferox), which is high in medicinally desirable
      constituents. Horizon is a great company, and are organic
      and permaculturally oriented. They ship internationally.
      After a quick search on Google for Aloe vera seeds, I found this:
      http://www.backyardgardener.com/seeds/product/2753/1.html
      http://www.tmseeds.com/product/2753.html -
      you will see that these two sites are linked, both selling the same product.

      http://www.beautyfeast.com/aloevera/Suppliers-Aloe-Vera-Seeds.htm
      http://dir.indiamart.com/impcat/aloe-vera-seeds.html -
      these two seem like they have similar links.

      http://davesgarden.com/community/trading/search.php?search_text=PFPID:1367
      This is promising for you.. you're in the UK, right? This guy (James Park -
      he's about the 10th one down on the list) lives in Plymouth and says he's
      got Aloe to trade - of course the only thing he seems to want is a palm, but
      maybe you can sweet-talk him.. He looks to be the only one on the list from
      the UK - though there is one on there from Tenerife, Spain.

      Anyhow, I'm sure there are other sites (usually what happens is someone
      reads an email like this and writes in to say "Hey! Don't go to THAT site,
      here's a much better one.." etc etc).

      I advise you to do as much research as you need to in order to be certain
      you are ordering from a reliable source.

      All the best,

      Steve.