Re: [pfaf] question

  • Peter Ellis
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 8, 2008
      The message <4d7faa5f0810081237v4ab0fd16pf03f82cee38ade5a@...>
      from "Geir_Flatab�" <geirf@...> contains these words:

      > WIld growing plums in Istria ,
      > could it be
      > Prunus brigantina or perhaps rather
      > Prunus cocomilia !???

      > any seeds available ??

      > Geir Flatab�

      Hi Geir

      Difficult to be sure but I think probably not. I Googled them but
      couldn't find any pictures. These seem too small at around 12-15mm long.
      They definitely don't resemble small apricots, with or without fuzz!

      I was a bit alarmed at the cyanide angle! People here were eating them
      readily. You can apparently use them for jam and flavouring rakija.

      Cheers

      Peter
    • Erez Gur
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 10, 2008
        The fruit you describe might be from Ziziphus spina-christi
      • Peter Ellis
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 10, 2008
          The message <401636.85357.qm@...>
          from Erez Gur <erez_00@...> contains these words:

          > The fruit you describe might be from Ziziphus spina-christi

          You might be right! Fascinating! I googled it and came up with all
          sorts of information. I'm going to find one growing and cross check it
          all.

          Incidentally, one lead I followed came up with
          http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/
          I hadn't heard of these people before. They have interesting lists.

          Cheers

          Peter