Re: [pfaf] question

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 8, 2008
      WIld growing plums in Istria ,
      could it be
      Prunus brigantina or perhaps rather
      Prunus cocomilia !???

      any seeds available ??

      Geir Flatabø

      2008/10/8, Peter Ellis <peter.ellis@...>:

      > Today I was given some fruit I've never seen before.
      > They are brown, shiny and about the size of a hazlenut or olive. In fact
      > the skin is not hard, they have a taste similar to apples and have a
      > small stone.
      > I'm told they are from the plum family and from the general format it
      > sounds possible.
      > The chap who gave them to me said they grow near the coast here in
      > Istria but not much inland. I've never seen them growing.
      >
      > Can anyone identify them please?
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Peter

    • Peter Ellis
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 8, 2008
        The message <4d7faa5f0810081237v4ab0fd16pf03f82cee38ade5a@...>
        from "Geir_Flatab�" <geirf@...> contains these words:

        > WIld growing plums in Istria ,
        > could it be
        > Prunus brigantina or perhaps rather
        > Prunus cocomilia !???

        > any seeds available ??

        > Geir Flatab�

        Hi Geir

        Difficult to be sure but I think probably not. I Googled them but
        couldn't find any pictures. These seem too small at around 12-15mm long.
        They definitely don't resemble small apricots, with or without fuzz!

        I was a bit alarmed at the cyanide angle! People here were eating them
        readily. You can apparently use them for jam and flavouring rakija.

        Cheers

        Peter
      • Erez Gur
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 10, 2008
          The fruit you describe might be from Ziziphus spina-christi
        • Peter Ellis
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 10, 2008
            The message <401636.85357.qm@...>
            from Erez Gur <erez_00@...> contains these words:

            > The fruit you describe might be from Ziziphus spina-christi

            You might be right! Fascinating! I googled it and came up with all
            sorts of information. I'm going to find one growing and cross check it
            all.

            Incidentally, one lead I followed came up with
            http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/
            I hadn't heard of these people before. They have interesting lists.

            Cheers

            Peter