question

  • Peter Ellis
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 8, 2008
      Today I was given some fruit I've never seen before.
      They are brown, shiny and about the size of a hazlenut or olive. In fact
      the skin is not hard, they have a taste similar to apples and have a
      small stone.
      I'm told they are from the plum family and from the general format it
      sounds possible.
      The chap who gave them to me said they grow near the coast here in
      Istria but not much inland. I've never seen them growing.

      Can anyone identify them please?

      Cheers

      Peter
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 8, 2008
        WIld growing plums in Istria ,
        could it be
        Prunus brigantina or perhaps rather
        Prunus cocomilia !???

        any seeds available ??

        Geir Flatabø

        2008/10/8, Peter Ellis <peter.ellis@...>:

        > Today I was given some fruit I've never seen before.
        > They are brown, shiny and about the size of a hazlenut or olive. In fact
        > the skin is not hard, they have a taste similar to apples and have a
        > small stone.
        > I'm told they are from the plum family and from the general format it
        > sounds possible.
        > The chap who gave them to me said they grow near the coast here in
        > Istria but not much inland. I've never seen them growing.
        >
        > Can anyone identify them please?
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Peter

      • Peter Ellis
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 8, 2008
          The message <4d7faa5f0810081237v4ab0fd16pf03f82cee38ade5a@...>
          from "Geir_Flatab�" <geirf@...> contains these words:

          > WIld growing plums in Istria ,
          > could it be
          > Prunus brigantina or perhaps rather
          > Prunus cocomilia !???

          > any seeds available ??

          > Geir Flatab�

          Hi Geir

          Difficult to be sure but I think probably not. I Googled them but
          couldn't find any pictures. These seem too small at around 12-15mm long.
          They definitely don't resemble small apricots, with or without fuzz!

          I was a bit alarmed at the cyanide angle! People here were eating them
          readily. You can apparently use them for jam and flavouring rakija.

          Cheers

          Peter
        • Erez Gur
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 10, 2008
            The fruit you describe might be from Ziziphus spina-christi
          • Peter Ellis
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 10, 2008
              The message <401636.85357.qm@...>
              from Erez Gur <erez_00@...> contains these words:

              > The fruit you describe might be from Ziziphus spina-christi

              You might be right! Fascinating! I googled it and came up with all
              sorts of information. I'm going to find one growing and cross check it
              all.

              Incidentally, one lead I followed came up with
              http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/
              I hadn't heard of these people before. They have interesting lists.

              Cheers

              Peter