Re: [pfaf] Re: Grow an apple tree from seed

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
      To my knowledge
      apples will not "take" - ie cannot be grafted on Rowan - Sorbus spp.

      But pears can / will,
      and you can of course graft the sweet Rowans - Sorbus aucuparia "Edulis"
      that makes nice fruits. And so do the XSorbopyrus auricularis with nice
      fruits..
      Pears on ROwan will most often be a bit acrid - literature says so, and
      that is also my experience, better for grafting then are other whitebeams
      like
      Sorbus hybrida, Sorbus meinichii, S. rupicola etc... those have been
      extensively used for grafting rootstock in Norway.

      Geir Flatabø