Woodland Management Course

  • Liz Turner
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2008
      Dear All
      Please see below details of a course in Woodland Management that Trees for Health is running at the end of this month. Early booking is recommended as spaces are limited. Do pass onto to anyone you think may be interested.

      Woodland Management Course
      Thursday 30 & Friday 31 October 2008 - 10am-4pm both days
      Location: Combe Royal Meadows Project, Kingsbridge
      Cost: £130
      led by Mike Gardner of Woodmanship (www.woodmanship.co.uk) with 20 years of forest management experience

      Tree identification, qualities and uses.

      Planning and establishing new woodlands.

      Maintaining young woodland, formative pruning, protection

      Ecological relationships in woodlands. Preserving and increasing biological diversity.

      Woodland silvicultural systems, high forest, coppice etc.

      Differing management systems available.

      Tree Felling

      Hands on coppicing & layering

      Outputs, products, and making a living from woodlands

      Management plans.

      Please email if you would like a place & then secure the booking by sending a cheque payable to 'Trees for Health' & send to Liz Turner, The Dovecote, Sandwell, Harberton, Totnes, TQ9 7LN.

      Regards

      Liz Turner
      Chairperson
      Trees for Health
      01803 867018
      info@...

    • bslark@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2008
        Hi Liz and all pfaf

        Its really great to see these courses being run they make such a positive impact on the individuals(one of our students has started his own coppice plot and is hoping to supply all his own fuel each winter).

        I help to manage Coppicewood College in Cilgerran West Wales an area where many land owners have woodland but just don't manage it or know how to. Our 6 month course has just a started and we have attracted 5 students all of whom either have some woodland or want to obtain some by rental or any other means. Some farmers are quite happy just to know their woods are being managed and let people use the wood for their own purposes. Our methods are strictly traditional using hand tools, but our applications are modern as we seek to make functional products that are needed in todays world.Woodlands are a renewable source of fuel, shelter and food and it is important to keep these traditional skills alive so that they maybe restored to the population when the oil runs dry. By the way we desperately need more woodland here in Wales the woodland cover is only 8% not enough to satisfy even our small population with its firewood needs alone let alone all the other stuff.The UK average is still only 10%.

        We also have a short course on the same week as yours ours lasts for 4 days from Mon 27th October and costs just £160 details can be found on
        http://www.coppicewoodcollege.co.uk/woodland-skills-short-courses.html%c2%a0 grants may be available and there a
        re still places. you can contact me Bruce on bslark@... if you or others are interested.

        Bruce Slark

[...]

        [Non-text portions of this message have
        been removed]

      • Peter Ellis
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 7, 2008
          The message <8CAF6AC7C4BE013-22C-FFD@...>
          from bslark@... contains these words:

          > Hi Liz and all pfaf

          > Its really great to see these courses being run they make such a
          > positive impact on the individuals(one of our students has started his
          > own coppice plot and is hoping to supply all his own fuel each
          > winter).

          > I help to manage Coppicewood College in Cilgerran West Wales an area
          > where many land owners have woodland but just don't manage it or know
          > how to. Our 6 month course has just a started and we have��attracted
          > 5��students all of whom either have some woodland or want to obtain
          > some by rental or any other means. Some farmers are quite happy just
          > to know their woods are being managed and let people use the wood for
          > their own purposes. Our methods are strictly traditional using hand
          > tools, but our applications are modern as we seek to��make functional
          > products that are needed in todays world.Woodlands are a renewable
          > source of fuel, shelter and food and it is important to keep these
          > traditional skills alive so that they maybe restored to the population
          > when the oil runs dry. By the way we desperately need more woodland
          > here in Wales the woodland cover is only 8%��not enough to satisfy
          > even our small population with its firewood needs alone let alone all
          > the other stuff.The UK average is still only 10%.

          > We also have a short course on the same week as yours ours lasts for 4
          > days from Mon 27th October and costs just ��160 details can be found
          > on
          > http://www.coppicewoodcollege.co.uk/woodland-skills-short-courses.html%ef%bf%bd%ef%bf%bd grants may be available and there a
          > re still places. you can contact me Bruce on bslark@...��if you or
          > others are interested.

          > Bruce Slark

          It is interesting to compare woodland in the UK with woodland in
          Croatia, where there is vastly more of it. Many villages in Istria still
          have a wood on the periphery, which for centuries has provided firewood
          and building material. I suspect the UK was once similar until the
          1700s, when the ironmasters had it all chopped down for charcoal to fire
          their foundries.

          Cheers

          Peter