Re: [pfaf] old orchard and seedlings

  • Griselda Mussett
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2008
      Here in Kent UK where many or most of the old orchards have been
      grubbed up (and sadly some of the land is now built on), the new-style
      orchards are very different. You would need ladders to harvest the
      crop from the old trees which were several metres apart; the new ones
      are only shoulder-height and grown much much closer together - maybe
      just a metre or so apart. I saw a TV programme which said a medieval
      orchard was often one field of about an acre with maybe 1 or 2 apple
      trees in it, and these reached a great height, of about 60 feet (sorry
      for mixed measures). So the process of selecting for and growing
      smaller trees, grown more closely together, has been going on for
      nearly 1000 years,

      The trees in the older Kent orchards had been pruned to create a lot of
      horizontal branches, were pruned at least once a year, and the
      height-seeking leaders cut out each year. I have used this
      technique of keeping laterals as horizontal as possible for my grape
      vine, my pear and apple tree, and my roses, and it really is amazing
      the difference in the quantity of fruit or flowers produced from these
      horizontally tied branches. I imagine the plants recognise this
      horizontal state as having reached enough light for it to be worthwhile
      for the plant to create a bud for flower/fruit, instead of the branch
      still having to climb upwards in competition, to get the light.

      Does anyone have any further knowledge or comments on this?