old orchard and seedlings

  • charfair fairchar
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2008
      I believe there are only good apples in this orchard, and I have tasted from
      every tree.
      Because no one manages these trees much, there are problems with the boughs
      breaking/splitting.

      That is why I went regularly and picked apples when gas prices and shortages
      were awful, too help the trees.
      Maybe some of the volunteers I have in my yard are apple and not just
      avocado! I would be very happy since avocado cannot grow in 6 or 7 and bear
      fruit
      . I don't want to wait until global warming gets warmer in the US State of
      Georgia.

      I have an aloe that is large if anyone wants it contact me off list if they
      live near Douglasville, GA, I also have black eyed Susan I could share, and
      stevia. So far I haven't gotten any SASE for the stevia. It tastes much
      different from the stuff you buy in the store. I will be generous if anyone
      wants any. Otherwise I will sow my stevia and continue to enjoy it more
      because I will have more.

      The machine I have below my name detoxes chlorine, but more importantly it
      changes pH, with acidic or alkaline water, so it is beneficial to drink, and
      it is also good for rinsing off seeds or using for propagation, I believe.
      There are videos on Youtube, and on the site below my name. As a PhD from
      the CDC said, it is just water, but it has many benefits. Anyone interested
      in science might enjoy reading about it.

      Hoping I have an apple tree,
      Charlotte
      www.IonWays.com/Liphart

    • Griselda Mussett
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2008
        Here in Kent UK where many or most of the old orchards have been
        grubbed up (and sadly some of the land is now built on), the new-style
        orchards are very different. You would need ladders to harvest the
        crop from the old trees which were several metres apart; the new ones
        are only shoulder-height and grown much much closer together - maybe
        just a metre or so apart. I saw a TV programme which said a medieval
        orchard was often one field of about an acre with maybe 1 or 2 apple
        trees in it, and these reached a great height, of about 60 feet (sorry
        for mixed measures). So the process of selecting for and growing
        smaller trees, grown more closely together, has been going on for
        nearly 1000 years,

        The trees in the older Kent orchards had been pruned to create a lot of
        horizontal branches, were pruned at least once a year, and the
        height-seeking leaders cut out each year. I have used this
        technique of keeping laterals as horizontal as possible for my grape
        vine, my pear and apple tree, and my roses, and it really is amazing
        the difference in the quantity of fruit or flowers produced from these
        horizontally tied branches. I imagine the plants recognise this
        horizontal state as having reached enough light for it to be worthwhile
        for the plant to create a bud for flower/fruit, instead of the branch
        still having to climb upwards in competition, to get the light.

        Does anyone have any further knowledge or comments on this?