Re: [pfaf] ping pong lemon tree seeds

  • Teeter
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 30, 2008
      Just let them dry out on paper. Dont put them in a dehydrator they may not
      grow after the heating process. I will be planting some of my seeds when my
      lemon produces this next year. I wont dry mine tho, will be just putting
      them in the dirt. Lemons come pretty true to seed because they are not sweet
      like oranges. Oranges and grapefruits have to be grafted unfortunately. Pear
      trees are started from seed too.

      Theresa

      On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 5:38 PM, Dee Harris <corbywolf13@...> wrote:

      > If you can sun dry them, it would be a lot better for the seeds.
      > Wolf
      >

      > --- On Tue, 9/30/08, charfair fairchar <FertilityFair@...<FertilityFair%40gmail.com>>
      > wrote:
      >
      > From: charfair fairchar <FertilityFair@...<FertilityFair%40gmail.com>
      > >
      > Subject: [pfaf] ping pong lemon tree seeds
      > To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com <pfaf%40yahoogroups.com>
      > Date: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 3:28 PM
      >

      > I just received a dehydrator in the mail as a present from my sister. I
      > don't know if I need to dehydrate the lemon seeds before mailing to other
      > places?
      > These lemons look like yellow ping pong's and they are fuzzy.
      >
      > I would like to trade for something. How do I grow an apple tree from seed?
      >
      > --
      > Charlotte Fairchild Liphart
      > Georgia, USA
      > www.IonWays. com/Liphart

    • Mathew Waehner
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2008
        I've read that the chances of the seedling apple being good for eating raw
        (rather than cider) are about one in thirty thousand. If you plant the five
        seeds from the Granny Smith apple, you could get five radically different
        trees with very different fruits.

        If you're looking for a good eating apple, it is probably worth buying a
        tree; cider apples are extremly useful for producing hard cider or vinegar.

        On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 5:35 PM, Dee Harris <corbywolf13@...> wrote:

        > Griselda, thank you so much for that little piece of inspiration. I just
        > happen to have some granny smith apples. Wonder what I can do with the
        > seeds? Hmm
        > Grinning,
        > Wolf
        >

        > --- On Tue, 9/30/08, Griselda Mussett <griselda1@...<griselda1%40btopenworld.com>>
        > wrote:
        >
        > From: Griselda Mussett <griselda1@...<griselda1%40btopenworld.com>
        > >
        > Subject: Re: [pfaf] Grow an apple tree from seed
        > To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com <pfaf%40yahoogroups.com>
        > Date: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 3:40 PM
        >
        > Ah, just plant the seed in some earth, keep coolish till it
        > germinates.. .
        >
        > Apples do not come true from seed, they always create a new variety.
        > That is how many famous and useful kinds of apples were discovered,
        > from chance seedlings. They are v easy to grow, but you have to wait a
        > few years to see if the fruit and other characteristics of your apple
        > seedlings is of any use.
        >
        > Lovely task!
        >
        > Griselda
        >
        > On 30 Sep 2008, at 21:28, charfair fairchar wrote:
        >
        > > I just received a dehydrator in the mail as a present from my sister. I
        > > don't know if I need to dehydrate the lemon seeds before mailing to
        > > other
        > > places?
        > > These lemons look like yellow ping pong's and they are fuzzy.
        > >
        > > I would like to trade for something. How do I grow an apple tree from
        > > seed?
        > >
        > > --
        > > Charlotte Fairchild Liphart
        > > Georgia, USA
        > > www.IonWays. com/Liphart

      • Jack P. Brooks
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 2, 2008
          I don't know about apple, but I've started many orange, lemon and grapefruit plants from the seed of the fruit bough from my local grocery store. The trick I learned was to soak the seeds in water for 24 hours to get rid of all the acid and then just plant them in clay pots, I find all my plants do much better in clay.

          I'd risk all to be remembered as "humbly and honourably correct". God forbid, never as politically correct!

          God Bless!

          Jack P. Brooks
          http://www.angelfire.com/me2/whynot

        • vic_doyle
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 3, 2008
            I woul;d very much like to hear from anyone who has experience of
            apple tree cuttings grafted onto aother stock such as ROWAN which
            grow in massive abundance on the hills where I live (Due to the
            collapse of hillside sheep farming), The sheep would nip anything
            that grows and now they don't the Rowan is regenerating faster than
            anything else, would'nt it be superb if they could be grafted and
            become food producing, also I believe that it would be in the coming
            months that thjis would happen. Any ideas out there?

            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Jack P. Brooks" <jackpbrooks@...> wrote:

            > I don't know about apple, but I've started many orange, lemon and
            grapefruit plants from the seed of the fruit bough from my local
            grocery store. The trick I learned was to soak the seeds in water for
            24 hours to get rid of all the acid and then just plant them in clay
            pots, I find all my plants do much better in clay.

            > I'd risk all to be remembered as "humbly and honourably correct".
            God forbid, never as politically correct!

            > God Bless!
            >
            > Jack P. Brooks
            > http://www.angelfire.com/me2/whynot

          • Sara Elbrai
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 4, 2008
              The chances of an apple seedling being good for eating are far better than 50/50.

              You can wander all over North America trying seedling apples and well over 50% are fine for eating. The flavors are sometimes not what you are familiar with and the sugar levels are often low, but the fruit is still more often than not good for eating. After all, almost anything tastes better than Red Delicious.

              The problems with apple seedlings often have nothing to do with the edibility of the fruit.The problems often involve small size fruit, over bearing, branches that break either with too much fruit or too much ice, under bearing, and lack of disease or insect resistance.

              Sara

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
                To my knowledge
                apples will not "take" - ie cannot be grafted on Rowan - Sorbus spp.

                But pears can / will,
                and you can of course graft the sweet Rowans - Sorbus aucuparia "Edulis"
                that makes nice fruits. And so do the XSorbopyrus auricularis with nice
                fruits..
                Pears on ROwan will most often be a bit acrid - literature says so, and
                that is also my experience, better for grafting then are other whitebeams
                like
                Sorbus hybrida, Sorbus meinichii, S. rupicola etc... those have been
                extensively used for grafting rootstock in Norway.

                Geir Flatabø