Re: [pfaf] Re: apple trees from seed

  • Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2008
      Apples can be grown from seed. The problem or disadvantage is that the plant may not bear the same quality fruit.

      Other disadvantages are the seedlings take years to come into bearing. The trees are large and therefore inconvenient to manage. That is why vegetative propagation has replaced the seed propagation. One can get trees of one's choice by using appropriate rootstocks in apple.

      Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
      Author - CD on 51 Himalayan Wild Growing Fruits Nuts & Edible plants
      Editor - www.fruitipedia.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2008
        Growing apples on their own roots might be a good solution to the
        deprivations of a windy site like ours. Has anyone tried coppicing apples? I
        believe that there is someone testing this but I haven't seen any results.

        John

      • Dee Harris
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2008
          Seeds from different apple trees planted together should show some results that one can't find other wise. I shall have to put it to the test.
          Wolf