Johnny Appleseed

  • charfair fairchar
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2008
      As a child I planted popsicle sticks and nary a popsicle grew!
      I have planted apple seeds before with no results.

      We are having a drought, so drying the lemon seeds in the sun will be easy.

      Send Self Stamped Addressed Envelopes. I won't charge at all for 10 lemon
      seeds.

      Charlotte Liphart
      37 London Lane
      HIram, GA 30141 USA

      Thank you very much for the information about drying the lemon seeds. They
      are in the refrigerator this Sept. 30.

      Thank you again for the answer about the apple seeds. I will try to just
      plant them in a pot.
      Charlotte Liphart
      www.IonWays.com/Liphart

    • maartendeprez
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
        > I have planted apple seeds before with no results.

        I have grown apples from seed, with success. This was from an apple
        which were supposed to give good grafting stock; i don't remember the
        name. I got them from an apple expert uncle of mine. They were nearly
        a year old and withered by the time i got them, but they were
        delicious. You may need to sow a lot of seeds to get some plants.
        Could also be drought. I planted them right in place, in a roughly
        cleared row only five centimeters large in a woody spot, keeping the
        herbs somewhat low nearby. They grew three plants. I intertwined them
        and removed the branches till about one and a half meters. I haven't
        grafted yet, but i'm hoping for yummy apples. Some people have had
        good luck with that! So, wish that for everyone who tries! If they are
        not good table apples they would still be good for cooking, i suppose.

        Greetings,
        Maarten
      • Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2008
          Apples can be grown from seed. The problem or disadvantage is that the plant may not bear the same quality fruit.

          Other disadvantages are the seedlings take years to come into bearing. The trees are large and therefore inconvenient to manage. That is why vegetative propagation has replaced the seed propagation. One can get trees of one's choice by using appropriate rootstocks in apple.

          Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
          Author - CD on 51 Himalayan Wild Growing Fruits Nuts & Edible plants
          Editor - www.fruitipedia.com
          > I have planted apple seeds before with no results.

          I have grown apples from seed, with success. This was from an apple
          which were supposed to give good grafting stock; i don't remember the
          name. I got them from an apple expert uncle of mine. They were nearly
          a year old and withered by the time i got them, but they were
          delicious. You may need to sow a lot of seeds to get some plants.
          Could also be drought. I planted them right in place, in a roughly
          cleared row only five centimeters large in a woody spot, keeping the
          herbs somewhat low nearby. They grew three plants. I intertwined them
          and removed the branches till about one and a half meters. I haven't
          grafted yet, but i'm hoping for yummy apples. Some people have had
          good luck with that! So, wish that for everyone who tries! If they are
          not good table apples they would still be good for cooking, i suppose.

          Greetings,
          Maarten

        • John Marshall
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2008
            Growing apples on their own roots might be a good solution to the
            deprivations of a windy site like ours. Has anyone tried coppicing apples? I
            believe that there is someone testing this but I haven't seen any results.

            John

          • Dee Harris
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2008
              Seeds from different apple trees planted together should show some results that one can't find other wise. I shall have to put it to the test.
              Wolf