Re: [pfaf] Re: uniform little carrots

  • Pat Meadows
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 23, 2008
      On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 17:17:43 -0000, you wrote:

      >I grew my carrots in buckets of compost this year. They came out the
      >exact same way, straight, sweet and uniform. You are right tho. Keep
      >the top moist for the first month and toss some dried grass clippings
      >on top to keep down weeds and hold moisture in. Just sow thinner than
      >you think you should and cuts down on waste/work, the key to great
      >carrots--they hate crowding. Oh, and do regular watering because
      >buckets dry out faster and carrots love water.

      You could try Self-Watering Containers (SWCs) - you don't need to put water
      in them nearly as often. They have other advantages as well.

      All the vegetables I have grown in SWCs (a large number of different
      veggies) grow *splendidly* in them - much, much better than they ever grew
      in other containers. I'm even getting better results growing in SWCs than
      I usually got growing vegetables in the ground.

      Many herbs, however, especially those originally from the Mediterranean
      area, want drier conditions and thus are not well-suited to growing in an
      SWC.

      You can make SWCs or buy them - they are easy to make. We've made ours
      mostly from 18-gallon Rubbermaid-style storage tubs. We also made some out
      of kitty litter buckets, and a few from large round tubs with rope handles.
      You can also make them from 5-gallon buckets, and many other items.

      Or you can buy them - I bought two windowbox shaped-SWCs for our front
      porch where I wanted something really nice looking. (I didn't want to put
      buckets that scream 'TIDY CATS LITTER' on my front porch, I'm funny like
      that.....)

      Details, including URL to sets of directions for making your own and the
      URLs of online suppliers: www.meadows.pair.com/swcreport.html

      Pat
      -- northern Pennsylvania
      Website: www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html