Re: [pfaf] Re: Joining post: UK vegan diet?

  • treaclemine@intranet.org
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
      Dear Graham,

      > Home grown sources of healthy vegan diet
      >
      > http://pages.unisonfree.net/mcl/homegrownsources.htm

      Ah! _That_ is what I was looking for! The main omission
      that I can see on the nutrient list is omega oils (which I'm told
      are important in preventing certain kinds of severe depression)
      but I have learned today that pumpkin seeds are a good source.
      I believe that the omega oils are only heat stable to 120 C, which
      I think means that seeds in bread will be denatured in the crust
      but protected in the middle of the loaf?

      Many thanks!

      Oh, and thank you for reprinting "Well fed - not an
      animal dead" :-)

      ttfn

      Amanda
    • Tony Martin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
        Hi Amanda, I wish you well with the diet. I have been turning my garden into a forest garden for many years now, see

        http://homepage.ntlworld.com/veronicathecow/  for details, photos and some videos.

        You might be able to see some chick peas growing under the sunflowers. I got a crop from them the one other year that I tried (not huge, but useable) and the same with lentils. Garlics grow like grass here, and I have had a good crop of  Almonds most years. The Walnut tree(7 years old) produced three immature nuts last year and in total I got about 475lb of fruit and veg from about 1/20th of an acre (Ther toal land includes a house, front lawn, large sand pit etc and is about 1/10th of an acre).
        I am just moving to Wales and trying to do the same with 2 acres of wet pastureland. Fingers crossed.

        Cheers
        Tony

        treaclemine@... wrote:
        Greetings,

              I've just re-joined this emailing list.  I'm based in the UK,
        and currently interested in finding out as much as possible about
        'British' vegan food: making my diet more sustainable by concentrating
        on UK produced vegan food, not relying upon imported products e.g.
        soy, rice, many pulses...

              Has anyone written a "Diet for a Small Island" which looks at
        the nutritional balance of possible British home-grown vegan diet as
        is possible already (not relying upon the fascinating but unusual and
        hard-to-get foods in the PFAF database :-) ?

              Thanks,

              Amanda

        --
        treaclemine@...