Re: Joining post: UK vegan diet?

  • Graham Burnett
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
      Hi Amanda- have a look at the Movement for Compassionate Living website

      http://pages.unisonfree.net/mcl/

      Home grown sources of healthy vegan diet

      http://pages.unisonfree.net/mcl/homegrownsources.htm

      other intersting articles

      http://pages.unisonfree.net/mcl/furtherinfo.htm

      HTH Graham www.landandliberty.co.uk

      Message: 2
      Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 12:42:08 -0600
      From: treaclemine@...
      Subject: Joining post: UK vegan diet?

      Greetings,

      I've just re-joined this emailing list. I'm based in the UK,
      and currently interested in finding out as much as possible about
      'British' vegan food: making my diet more sustainable by concentrating
      on UK produced vegan food, not relying upon imported products e.g.
      soy, rice, many pulses...

      Has anyone written a "Diet for a Small Island" which looks at
      the nutritional balance of possible British home-grown vegan diet as
      is possible already (not relying upon the fascinating but unusual and
      hard-to-get foods in the PFAF database :-) ?

      Thanks,

      Amanda
    • treaclemine@intranet.org
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
        Dear Graham,

        > Home grown sources of healthy vegan diet
        >
        > http://pages.unisonfree.net/mcl/homegrownsources.htm

        Ah! _That_ is what I was looking for! The main omission
        that I can see on the nutrient list is omega oils (which I'm told
        are important in preventing certain kinds of severe depression)
        but I have learned today that pumpkin seeds are a good source.
        I believe that the omega oils are only heat stable to 120 C, which
        I think means that seeds in bread will be denatured in the crust
        but protected in the middle of the loaf?

        Many thanks!

        Oh, and thank you for reprinting "Well fed - not an
        animal dead" :-)

        ttfn

        Amanda
      • Tony Martin
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
          Hi Amanda, I wish you well with the diet. I have been turning my garden into a forest garden for many years now, see

          http://homepage.ntlworld.com/veronicathecow/  for details, photos and some videos.

          You might be able to see some chick peas growing under the sunflowers. I got a crop from them the one other year that I tried (not huge, but useable) and the same with lentils. Garlics grow like grass here, and I have had a good crop of  Almonds most years. The Walnut tree(7 years old) produced three immature nuts last year and in total I got about 475lb of fruit and veg from about 1/20th of an acre (Ther toal land includes a house, front lawn, large sand pit etc and is about 1/10th of an acre).
          I am just moving to Wales and trying to do the same with 2 acres of wet pastureland. Fingers crossed.

          Cheers
          Tony

          --
          treaclemine@...