Re: [pfaf] Re: Introducing garter snakes to eat slugs?

  • Pat Meadows
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
      On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 09:44:54 -0000, you wrote:

      >The life cycle of a slug is that the parent of slug eggs coats the
      >said slug eggs with slime everyday, the hormone in the slime stops
      >the eggs hatching, if the parent is killed by nematodes or anything
      >else, the eggs hatch and the parent slug is replaced by lots of
      >little baby slugs, cunning eh?
      >Nematodes only last a short while, handy to time them as your
      >seedlings pop up out of the ground if you time it JUST right eh?
      >Khaki Campbell ducks are the best sustainable cure for slug problems,
      >they eat them all year round.

      They'd have an awful time trying to find slugs through a couple of feet
      snow, which we're apt to have for most of the winter.

      I think the slugs themselves must hibernate or die, to be replaced by eggs
      in spring or something along those lines. We have six months of
      below-freezing temperatures. (Northeastern USA).

      So I think maybe ducks eat slugs all year round in some places, but not in
      others.

      Pat
      -- northern Pennsylvania
      Website: www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html