Ground cherries

  • nerdnooky
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2008
      I was just given a heap of ground cherries. Amazing taste! Anyone
      have any recipes for these. So far, they taste wonderful in salad, on
      vanilla ice cream (yes!), and of course, just out of their husks--like
      eating popcorn. Will probably have some seeds by next year to share,
      too!

      C.
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2008
        There are lots of kinds of ground cherries / husk tomatoes,
        do you know which kind you have got,
        -Physalis pruinosa - edulis - etc ??

        Geir Flatabø

        2008/9/7, nerdnooky <nerdnooky@...>:

        > I was just given a heap of ground cherries. Amazing taste! Anyone
        > have any recipes for these. So far, they taste wonderful in salad, on
        > vanilla ice cream (yes!), and of course, just out of their husks--like
        > eating popcorn. Will probably have some seeds by next year to share,
        > too!
        >
        > C.

      • nerdnooky
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 11, 2008
          Umm, didn't honestly know there were more than one kind. They are
          round, yellowish green to yellow-orange fruit, with ecru papery
          lantern husks, tasting similar to pineapple strawberry with a hint of
          tomato. They are approx. 1/2" diameter and have many tiny (crunchy)
          flat ecru seeds. The pulp inside is the same yellow. The leaves
          look similiar to lambsquarters but are slightly fuzzy, with greyish
          dark stems, while the shortish plant sprawls out on the ground.

          How is the best way to get the seeds out? Same as regular tomatoes,
          or cut them open and squeeze them out then clean them and allow to
          dry?

          Am going to try growing them in my garden next year.

          Thanx!