Re: Introducing garter snakes to eat slugs?

  • n_udoh
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2, 2008
      Native toads would do the job much better. Create toad-friendly areas
      and shelters and introduce one or more toads.

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "maartendeprez" <maarten.deprez@...> wrote:

      > Hello.
      >
      > Because of a slug plague, i'm tempted to introduce garter snakes into
      > the garden to control the slug population. Some species can survive in
      > temperate climate and they are harmless to humans. But i'm unsure
      > about their effects on the ecosystem, so i need advice. There are no
      > native snakes here (Belgium).
      >

      > Greetings,
      > Maarten

    • Pat Meadows
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
        On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 09:44:54 -0000, you wrote:

        >The life cycle of a slug is that the parent of slug eggs coats the
        >said slug eggs with slime everyday, the hormone in the slime stops
        >the eggs hatching, if the parent is killed by nematodes or anything
        >else, the eggs hatch and the parent slug is replaced by lots of
        >little baby slugs, cunning eh?
        >Nematodes only last a short while, handy to time them as your
        >seedlings pop up out of the ground if you time it JUST right eh?
        >Khaki Campbell ducks are the best sustainable cure for slug problems,
        >they eat them all year round.

        They'd have an awful time trying to find slugs through a couple of feet
        snow, which we're apt to have for most of the winter.

        I think the slugs themselves must hibernate or die, to be replaced by eggs
        in spring or something along those lines. We have six months of
        below-freezing temperatures. (Northeastern USA).

        So I think maybe ducks eat slugs all year round in some places, but not in
        others.

        Pat
        -- northern Pennsylvania
        Website: www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html