Re: Introducing garter snakes to eat slugs?

  • n_udoh
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2, 2008
      It is unlikely that they would survive in the long term. It is true
      that they can survive low temperatures, but they require a longer
      summer period (due to the snake's UV, feeding and metabolic
      requirements) than you have in Belgium. Put simply; they need a longer
      warm period to get enough sun and food to survive the winter. You don't
      have a long enough or hot enough summer in Belgium
      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "maartendeprez" <maarten.deprez@...> wrote:

      > Hello.
      >
      > Because of a slug plague, i'm tempted to introduce garter snakes into
      > the garden to control the slug population. Some species can survive in
      > temperate climate and they are harmless to humans. But i'm unsure
      > about their effects on the ecosystem, so i need advice. There are no
      > native snakes here (Belgium).
      >

      > Greetings,
      > Maarten

    • n_udoh
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 2, 2008
        Native toads would do the job much better. Create toad-friendly areas
        and shelters and introduce one or more toads.

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "maartendeprez" <maarten.deprez@...> wrote:

        > Hello.
        >
        > Because of a slug plague, i'm tempted to introduce garter snakes into
        > the garden to control the slug population. Some species can survive in
        > temperate climate and they are harmless to humans. But i'm unsure
        > about their effects on the ecosystem, so i need advice. There are no
        > native snakes here (Belgium).
        >

        > Greetings,
        > Maarten

      • Pat Meadows
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
          On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 09:44:54 -0000, you wrote:

          >The life cycle of a slug is that the parent of slug eggs coats the
          >said slug eggs with slime everyday, the hormone in the slime stops
          >the eggs hatching, if the parent is killed by nematodes or anything
          >else, the eggs hatch and the parent slug is replaced by lots of
          >little baby slugs, cunning eh?
          >Nematodes only last a short while, handy to time them as your
          >seedlings pop up out of the ground if you time it JUST right eh?
          >Khaki Campbell ducks are the best sustainable cure for slug problems,
          >they eat them all year round.

          They'd have an awful time trying to find slugs through a couple of feet
          snow, which we're apt to have for most of the winter.

          I think the slugs themselves must hibernate or die, to be replaced by eggs
          in spring or something along those lines. We have six months of
          below-freezing temperatures. (Northeastern USA).

          So I think maybe ducks eat slugs all year round in some places, but not in
          others.

          Pat
          -- northern Pennsylvania
          Website: www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html