Re: Introducing garter snakes to eat slugs?

  • vic_doyle
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2 2:44 AM
      The life cycle of a slug is that the parent of slug eggs coats the
      said slug eggs with slime everyday, the hormone in the slime stops
      the eggs hatching, if the parent is killed by nematodes or anything
      else, the eggs hatch and the parent slug is replaced by lots of
      little baby slugs, cunning eh?
      Nematodes only last a short while, handy to time them as your
      seedlings pop up out of the ground if you time it JUST right eh?
      Khaki Campbell ducks are the best sustainable cure for slug problems,
      they eat them all year round.

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Spidra Webster <spidra@...> wrote:

      > No native snakes? Yay! Another country to put on my "love list".
      >
      > As for slugs, you might want to try nematodes. Wiggly Wigglers
      sell
      > them. I haven't gotten any myself because I haven't been able to
      > tell whether the nematodes used are also native in the US and I
      don't
      > want to introduce anything.
      >
      > http://wigglywigglers.co.uk/shop/product.html?product_id=218
      >

      > On Aug 31, 2008, at 12:18 PM, maartendeprez wrote:
      >
      > > Hello.
      > >
      > > Because of a slug plague, i'm tempted to introduce garter snakes
      into
      > > the garden to control the slug population. Some species can
      survive in
      > > temperate climate and they are harmless to humans. But i'm unsure
      > > about their effects on the ecosystem, so i need advice. There are
      no
      > > native snakes here (Belgium).
      >

      > Megan Lynch
      >
      > Berkeley, CA
      >
      > CRFG, NAFEX: I'm in USDA Zone 9b
      >
      > Garden with me on Folia: http://myfolia.com/gardener/spidra/invite
      > Golden Gate Chapter Blog: http://crfggoldengate.blogspot.com/
      >
      > CRFG Flickr Pool: http://www.flickr.com/groups/crfg/
      >
      > Chapter Events on Upcoming.org:
      http://upcoming.yahoo.com/group/3429/

    • n_udoh
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 2 10:52 AM
        It is unlikely that they would survive in the long term. It is true
        that they can survive low temperatures, but they require a longer
        summer period (due to the snake's UV, feeding and metabolic
        requirements) than you have in Belgium. Put simply; they need a longer
        warm period to get enough sun and food to survive the winter. You don't
        have a long enough or hot enough summer in Belgium
        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "maartendeprez" <maarten.deprez@...> wrote:

        > Hello.
        >
        > Because of a slug plague, i'm tempted to introduce garter snakes into
        > the garden to control the slug population. Some species can survive in
        > temperate climate and they are harmless to humans. But i'm unsure
        > about their effects on the ecosystem, so i need advice. There are no
        > native snakes here (Belgium).
        >

        > Greetings,
        > Maarten

      • n_udoh
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 2 10:57 AM
          Native toads would do the job much better. Create toad-friendly areas
          and shelters and introduce one or more toads.

          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "maartendeprez" <maarten.deprez@...> wrote:

          > Hello.
          >
          > Because of a slug plague, i'm tempted to introduce garter snakes into
          > the garden to control the slug population. Some species can survive in
          > temperate climate and they are harmless to humans. But i'm unsure
          > about their effects on the ecosystem, so i need advice. There are no
          > native snakes here (Belgium).
          >

          > Greetings,
          > Maarten

        • Pat Meadows
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 7 11:02 AM
            On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 09:44:54 -0000, you wrote:

            >The life cycle of a slug is that the parent of slug eggs coats the
            >said slug eggs with slime everyday, the hormone in the slime stops
            >the eggs hatching, if the parent is killed by nematodes or anything
            >else, the eggs hatch and the parent slug is replaced by lots of
            >little baby slugs, cunning eh?
            >Nematodes only last a short while, handy to time them as your
            >seedlings pop up out of the ground if you time it JUST right eh?
            >Khaki Campbell ducks are the best sustainable cure for slug problems,
            >they eat them all year round.

            They'd have an awful time trying to find slugs through a couple of feet
            snow, which we're apt to have for most of the winter.

            I think the slugs themselves must hibernate or die, to be replaced by eggs
            in spring or something along those lines. We have six months of
            below-freezing temperatures. (Northeastern USA).

            So I think maybe ducks eat slugs all year round in some places, but not in
            others.

            Pat
            -- northern Pennsylvania
            Website: www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html