Re: [pfaf] Introducing garter snakes to eat slugs?

  • Sara Elbrai
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
      I have many snakes but also many slugs and many snails. I also have many frogs and toads.

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
        No native snakes? Yay! Another country to put on my "love list".

        As for slugs, you might want to try nematodes. Wiggly Wigglers sell
        them. I haven't gotten any myself because I haven't been able to
        tell whether the nematodes used are also native in the US and I don't
        want to introduce anything.

        http://wigglywigglers.co.uk/shop/product.html?product_id=218

        On Aug 31, 2008, at 12:18 PM, maartendeprez wrote:

        > Hello.
        >
        > Because of a slug plague, i'm tempted to introduce garter snakes into
        > the garden to control the slug population. Some species can survive in
        > temperate climate and they are harmless to humans. But i'm unsure
        > about their effects on the ecosystem, so i need advice. There are no
        > native snakes here (Belgium).

        Megan Lynch

        Berkeley, CA

        CRFG, NAFEX: I'm in USDA Zone 9b

        Garden with me on Folia: http://myfolia.com/gardener/spidra/invite
        Golden Gate Chapter Blog: http://crfggoldengate.blogspot.com/

        CRFG Flickr Pool: http://www.flickr.com/groups/crfg/

        Chapter Events on Upcoming.org: http://upcoming.yahoo.com/group/3429/

      • vic_doyle
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 2, 2008
          The life cycle of a slug is that the parent of slug eggs coats the
          said slug eggs with slime everyday, the hormone in the slime stops
          the eggs hatching, if the parent is killed by nematodes or anything
          else, the eggs hatch and the parent slug is replaced by lots of
          little baby slugs, cunning eh?
          Nematodes only last a short while, handy to time them as your
          seedlings pop up out of the ground if you time it JUST right eh?
          Khaki Campbell ducks are the best sustainable cure for slug problems,
          they eat them all year round.

          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Spidra Webster <spidra@...> wrote:

          > No native snakes? Yay! Another country to put on my "love list".
          >
          > As for slugs, you might want to try nematodes. Wiggly Wigglers
          sell
          > them. I haven't gotten any myself because I haven't been able to
          > tell whether the nematodes used are also native in the US and I
          don't
          > want to introduce anything.
          >
          > http://wigglywigglers.co.uk/shop/product.html?product_id=218
          >

          > On Aug 31, 2008, at 12:18 PM, maartendeprez wrote:
          >
          > > Hello.
          > >
          > > Because of a slug plague, i'm tempted to introduce garter snakes
          into
          > > the garden to control the slug population. Some species can
          survive in
          > > temperate climate and they are harmless to humans. But i'm unsure
          > > about their effects on the ecosystem, so i need advice. There are
          no
          > > native snakes here (Belgium).
          >

          > Megan Lynch
          >
          > Berkeley, CA
          >
          > CRFG, NAFEX: I'm in USDA Zone 9b
          >
          > Garden with me on Folia: http://myfolia.com/gardener/spidra/invite
          > Golden Gate Chapter Blog: http://crfggoldengate.blogspot.com/
          >
          > CRFG Flickr Pool: http://www.flickr.com/groups/crfg/
          >
          > Chapter Events on Upcoming.org:
          http://upcoming.yahoo.com/group/3429/

        • n_udoh
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2, 2008
            It is unlikely that they would survive in the long term. It is true
            that they can survive low temperatures, but they require a longer
            summer period (due to the snake's UV, feeding and metabolic
            requirements) than you have in Belgium. Put simply; they need a longer
            warm period to get enough sun and food to survive the winter. You don't
            have a long enough or hot enough summer in Belgium
            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "maartendeprez" <maarten.deprez@...> wrote:

            > Hello.
            >
            > Because of a slug plague, i'm tempted to introduce garter snakes into
            > the garden to control the slug population. Some species can survive in
            > temperate climate and they are harmless to humans. But i'm unsure
            > about their effects on the ecosystem, so i need advice. There are no
            > native snakes here (Belgium).
            >

            > Greetings,
            > Maarten

          • n_udoh
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 2, 2008
              Native toads would do the job much better. Create toad-friendly areas
              and shelters and introduce one or more toads.

              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "maartendeprez" <maarten.deprez@...> wrote:

              > Hello.
              >
              > Because of a slug plague, i'm tempted to introduce garter snakes into
              > the garden to control the slug population. Some species can survive in
              > temperate climate and they are harmless to humans. But i'm unsure
              > about their effects on the ecosystem, so i need advice. There are no
              > native snakes here (Belgium).
              >

              > Greetings,
              > Maarten

            • Pat Meadows
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
                On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 09:44:54 -0000, you wrote:

                >The life cycle of a slug is that the parent of slug eggs coats the
                >said slug eggs with slime everyday, the hormone in the slime stops
                >the eggs hatching, if the parent is killed by nematodes or anything
                >else, the eggs hatch and the parent slug is replaced by lots of
                >little baby slugs, cunning eh?
                >Nematodes only last a short while, handy to time them as your
                >seedlings pop up out of the ground if you time it JUST right eh?
                >Khaki Campbell ducks are the best sustainable cure for slug problems,
                >they eat them all year round.

                They'd have an awful time trying to find slugs through a couple of feet
                snow, which we're apt to have for most of the winter.

                I think the slugs themselves must hibernate or die, to be replaced by eggs
                in spring or something along those lines. We have six months of
                below-freezing temperatures. (Northeastern USA).

                So I think maybe ducks eat slugs all year round in some places, but not in
                others.

                Pat
                -- northern Pennsylvania
                Website: www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html