Re: Introducing garter snakes to eat slugs?

  • maartendeprez
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
      > On a v small scale, I planted rocket seed round the lettuces, in a
      > thick 'wall', in ring shapes. It was quite an effective barrier to
      > slugs.

      Really?! I picked a lot of slugs from a patch of hot mustard in the
      greenhouse. Maybe it depends on the type of slug...

      Greetings,
      Maarten
    • Griselda Mussett
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
        My lettuce inside their rocket hedge were planted outside in the ground
        in the early summer.

        It really did keep the slugs'n'snails off - some others not so
        protected just disappeared.

        I was proud to have discovered a barrier method.

        :-)

        Griselda

        On 1 Sep 2008, at 21:34, maartendeprez wrote:

        > > On a v small scale, I planted rocket seed round the lettuces, in a
        > > thick 'wall', in ring shapes. It was quite an effective barrier to
        > > slugs.
        >
        > Really?! I picked a lot of slugs from a patch of hot mustard in the
        > greenhouse. Maybe it depends on the type of slug...
        >
        > Greetings,
        > Maarten

      • Sara Elbrai
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
          I have many snakes but also many slugs and many snails. I also have many frogs and toads.

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2008
            No native snakes? Yay! Another country to put on my "love list".

            As for slugs, you might want to try nematodes. Wiggly Wigglers sell
            them. I haven't gotten any myself because I haven't been able to
            tell whether the nematodes used are also native in the US and I don't
            want to introduce anything.

            http://wigglywigglers.co.uk/shop/product.html?product_id=218

            On Aug 31, 2008, at 12:18 PM, maartendeprez wrote:

            > Hello.
            >
            > Because of a slug plague, i'm tempted to introduce garter snakes into
            > the garden to control the slug population. Some species can survive in
            > temperate climate and they are harmless to humans. But i'm unsure
            > about their effects on the ecosystem, so i need advice. There are no
            > native snakes here (Belgium).

            Megan Lynch

            Berkeley, CA

            CRFG, NAFEX: I'm in USDA Zone 9b

            Garden with me on Folia: http://myfolia.com/gardener/spidra/invite
            Golden Gate Chapter Blog: http://crfggoldengate.blogspot.com/

            CRFG Flickr Pool: http://www.flickr.com/groups/crfg/

            Chapter Events on Upcoming.org: http://upcoming.yahoo.com/group/3429/

          • vic_doyle
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 2, 2008
              The life cycle of a slug is that the parent of slug eggs coats the
              said slug eggs with slime everyday, the hormone in the slime stops
              the eggs hatching, if the parent is killed by nematodes or anything
              else, the eggs hatch and the parent slug is replaced by lots of
              little baby slugs, cunning eh?
              Nematodes only last a short while, handy to time them as your
              seedlings pop up out of the ground if you time it JUST right eh?
              Khaki Campbell ducks are the best sustainable cure for slug problems,
              they eat them all year round.

              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Spidra Webster <spidra@...> wrote:

              > No native snakes? Yay! Another country to put on my "love list".
              >
              > As for slugs, you might want to try nematodes. Wiggly Wigglers
              sell
              > them. I haven't gotten any myself because I haven't been able to
              > tell whether the nematodes used are also native in the US and I
              don't
              > want to introduce anything.
              >
              > http://wigglywigglers.co.uk/shop/product.html?product_id=218
              >

              > On Aug 31, 2008, at 12:18 PM, maartendeprez wrote:
              >
              > > Hello.
              > >
              > > Because of a slug plague, i'm tempted to introduce garter snakes
              into
              > > the garden to control the slug population. Some species can
              survive in
              > > temperate climate and they are harmless to humans. But i'm unsure
              > > about their effects on the ecosystem, so i need advice. There are
              no
              > > native snakes here (Belgium).
              >

              > Megan Lynch
              >
              > Berkeley, CA
              >
              > CRFG, NAFEX: I'm in USDA Zone 9b
              >
              > Garden with me on Folia: http://myfolia.com/gardener/spidra/invite
              > Golden Gate Chapter Blog: http://crfggoldengate.blogspot.com/
              >
              > CRFG Flickr Pool: http://www.flickr.com/groups/crfg/
              >
              > Chapter Events on Upcoming.org:
              http://upcoming.yahoo.com/group/3429/

            • n_udoh
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 2, 2008
                It is unlikely that they would survive in the long term. It is true
                that they can survive low temperatures, but they require a longer
                summer period (due to the snake's UV, feeding and metabolic
                requirements) than you have in Belgium. Put simply; they need a longer
                warm period to get enough sun and food to survive the winter. You don't
                have a long enough or hot enough summer in Belgium
                --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "maartendeprez" <maarten.deprez@...> wrote:

                > Hello.
                >
                > Because of a slug plague, i'm tempted to introduce garter snakes into
                > the garden to control the slug population. Some species can survive in
                > temperate climate and they are harmless to humans. But i'm unsure
                > about their effects on the ecosystem, so i need advice. There are no
                > native snakes here (Belgium).
                >

                > Greetings,
                > Maarten

              • n_udoh
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 2, 2008
                  Native toads would do the job much better. Create toad-friendly areas
                  and shelters and introduce one or more toads.

                  --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "maartendeprez" <maarten.deprez@...> wrote:

                  > Hello.
                  >
                  > Because of a slug plague, i'm tempted to introduce garter snakes into
                  > the garden to control the slug population. Some species can survive in
                  > temperate climate and they are harmless to humans. But i'm unsure
                  > about their effects on the ecosystem, so i need advice. There are no
                  > native snakes here (Belgium).
                  >

                  > Greetings,
                  > Maarten

                • Pat Meadows
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 7, 2008
                    On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 09:44:54 -0000, you wrote:

                    >The life cycle of a slug is that the parent of slug eggs coats the
                    >said slug eggs with slime everyday, the hormone in the slime stops
                    >the eggs hatching, if the parent is killed by nematodes or anything
                    >else, the eggs hatch and the parent slug is replaced by lots of
                    >little baby slugs, cunning eh?
                    >Nematodes only last a short while, handy to time them as your
                    >seedlings pop up out of the ground if you time it JUST right eh?
                    >Khaki Campbell ducks are the best sustainable cure for slug problems,
                    >they eat them all year round.

                    They'd have an awful time trying to find slugs through a couple of feet
                    snow, which we're apt to have for most of the winter.

                    I think the slugs themselves must hibernate or die, to be replaced by eggs
                    in spring or something along those lines. We have six months of
                    below-freezing temperatures. (Northeastern USA).

                    So I think maybe ducks eat slugs all year round in some places, but not in
                    others.

                    Pat
                    -- northern Pennsylvania
                    Website: www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html