Bees and bee stings

  • lost666dog
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 29, 2008
      What are some things/plants that repel live bees when I'm working
      around...and with the bee stings I have, what is the best way to stop
      the iching. I know onion, broadleaf plaintain, comfrey, perhaps baking
      soda works...is there anyother. Does vinegar work?...What should i eat
      before going outside that repels them, what shuld i put on myself....
    • Gail Lloyd
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 30, 2008
        To stop the itching, try tea tree oil (essential oil, a few drops in a tub of water, take a bath in it).  I got some at WalMart, and you can probably find it at Bath & Body Works, or any health food store, or order online.  I used it to stop chigger bites itching (which was driving me crazy) and it worked immediately.
        Keeping bees away is a little bit harder, I think.  Bees pollinate plants and like about everything.  There's a site you can go to to find out about different plant repellents.  It's

        http://www.asktheexterminator.com/biting_and_stinging_insects/Bee_and_Wasp_Repellent_Plants_printer.shtml
        Also if you ever need to repel ants, I've heard the turmeric plant repels them.
        Gail

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 30, 2008
          The message <g99mgu+orua@...>
          from "lost666dog" <lost666dog@...> contains these words:

          > What are some things/plants that repel live bees when I'm working
          > around...and with the bee stings I have, what is the best way to stop
          > the iching. I know onion, broadleaf plaintain, comfrey, perhaps baking
          > soda works...is there anyother. Does vinegar work?...What should i eat
          > before going outside that repels them, what shuld i put on myself....

          A sprig of wormwood behind your ear is reputed to keep them at bay!

          Cheers

          Peter Ellis

          Visnjan Sales Office
          Croatia Property Services
          A trading name of Peter Ellis Grupa d.o.o.
          Selling in the new Tuscany!

          Tel +385 (0) 98182 62 40 Eng
          +385 (0) 98 26 16 24 Eng
          +385 (0) 99 69 38 856 Eng/Hr/It/De
          +385 (0) 99 69 38 859 Eng/Hr
          +385 (0) 52 44 94 34 Eng/Hr/It/De
          Fax +385 (0) 52 44 94 40

          peter.ellis@...
          info@...

          http://www.croatiapropertyservices.com
          http://croatiaproperty.proboards16.com
        • ludd ...
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 30, 2008
            I learned that if you get stung by one bee, the bee also spray's feromones on you to trigger other bees to sting you too. Wash it off.
            And not being treatening towards them or raise your overall awareness helps too. Cause bees (in western europe anyway) only sting when attacked, intentionally or not.
            If the stinger is still in your skin remove it carefully. Often the poison bladder is still stuck to the stinger. Don't squeeze that little bag cause you will inject more poison into your skin.

            Ludd
            lost666dog <lost666dog@...> wrote: What are some things/plants that repel live bees when I'm working
            around...and with the bee stings I have, what is the best way to stop
            the iching. I know onion, broadleaf plaintain, comfrey, perhaps baking
            soda works...is there anyother. Does vinegar work?...What should i eat
            before going outside that repels them, what shuld i put on myself....

            www.re-forestgarden.co.uk

          • Kim Foale
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 30, 2008
              I heard somewhere that chemical smells make them go nuts - beekeepers arent
              supposed to use things like deodarants, etc. So avoid cosmetics as much as
              poss, but I guess this goes for life anyway :)

              Kim

              Those who do not move, do not notice their chains.

              phone: 0774 3917404
              skype: daresbalat
              msn: bobulatorm@...

            • Gail Lloyd
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 31, 2008
                I also just read that you can rub fresh sage leaves on your skin to help with itching.
                Gail

                lost666dog <lost666dog@yahoo. com> wrote: What are some things/plants that repel live bees when I'm working
                around...and with the bee stings I have, what is the best way to stop
                the iching. I know onion, broadleaf plaintain, comfrey, perhaps baking
                soda works...is there anyother. Does vinegar work?...What should i eat
                before going outside that repels them, what shuld i put on myself....

                www.re-forestgarden .co.uk

              • Gail Lloyd
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 31, 2008
                  I've been reading in The Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants, by Andrew Chevallier (DK Publishing, Inc., copyright 1996).  He lists several remedies for minor bites, stings, & swelling:
                  External Remedies:
                  Rub fresh lavender leaves (Lavandula officinalis), tincture, or essential oil on and around the bite or sting.
                  Apply freshly squeezed juice from the leaves of basil (Ocimum basilicum)
                  Apply aloe vera gel.
                  Internal Remedies:
                  Make an infusion of nettle leaves (Urtica dioica) (for infusion:  1 t dried or 2 t fresh herb to a cup of boiling water steep 5-10 minutes; strain; add honey if desired.  Drink 3 cups/day.
                  Take echinacea (Echinacea spp) tablets or capsules.
                  Gail

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 31, 2008
                    Plantain is my favourite remedy for wasp and bee stings or any insect
                    bites. I prefer ribwort as the leaves are less tough, but you can use
                    any plantain - simply mash the leaf (or chew it) and then rub the
                    affected area with the mushed up leaf for a minute or until it stops
                    hurting. Plantain has antihistamine properties, so can also be taken
                    internally as a tea, especially if you react badly to stings (and it's
                    good for hay fever and other allergies).
                    Julie

                    Julie Bruton-Seal BSc MAMH MGNI
                    Editor of Nature's Path
                    Co-author of Hedgerow Medicine
                    herbalist@...
                    www.juliebruton-seal.com
                    www.hedgerowmedicine.com
                    UK 01508 488 295

                  • Jack P. Brooks
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 31, 2008
                      I am so happy to see the bees when they arrive and believe me I have lots all summer long working away pollinating all my plants and the thing is they don't require anything of me other than doing what I always do taking care of the gardens. I have found the best way to get along with bees is not to threaten or intimidate them and they will just ignore me doing a two fold going about their business of gathering their food to store for the winter and pollinating the flowers they gather their food from.

                      I'd risk all to be remembered as "humbly and honourably correct". God forbid, but never as politically correct!

                      God Bless!

                      Jack P. Brooks
                      http://www.angelfire.com/me2/whynot

                      You Wrote:
                      Keeping bees away is a little bit harder, I think. Bees pollinate plants and like about everything. There's a site you can go to to find out about different plant repellents. It's

                    • manofpeace32
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 1, 2008
                        FRom the QUOTE BELOW
                        Plantian
                        Extract it by freezing

                        About freeze extracting this breaks down the cells
                        if you freeze a apple it will be soft as mashed potatoes after
                        thawing.

                        nOT UCH mORE ON THAT, BUT HERE IS THE POST
                        aLSO IT DOESN'T LEAVE GREEN MARKS ON YOUR SKIN MAKING YOU LOOK dirty
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pfaf/message/2774