Joining post: UK vegan diet?

  • treaclemine@intranet.org
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9, 2003
      Greetings,

      I've just re-joined this emailing list. I'm based in the UK,
      and currently interested in finding out as much as possible about
      'British' vegan food: making my diet more sustainable by concentrating
      on UK produced vegan food, not relying upon imported products e.g.
      soy, rice, many pulses...

      Has anyone written a "Diet for a Small Island" which looks at
      the nutritional balance of possible British home-grown vegan diet as
      is possible already (not relying upon the fascinating but unusual and
      hard-to-get foods in the PFAF database :-) ?

      Thanks,

      Amanda

      --
      treaclemine@...
    • Graham Burnett
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
        Hi Amanda- have a look at the Movement for Compassionate Living website

        http://pages.unisonfree.net/mcl/

        Home grown sources of healthy vegan diet

        http://pages.unisonfree.net/mcl/homegrownsources.htm

        other intersting articles

        http://pages.unisonfree.net/mcl/furtherinfo.htm

        HTH Graham www.landandliberty.co.uk

        Message: 2

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
          Dear Graham,

          > Home grown sources of healthy vegan diet
          >
          > http://pages.unisonfree.net/mcl/homegrownsources.htm

          Ah! _That_ is what I was looking for! The main omission
          that I can see on the nutrient list is omega oils (which I'm told
          are important in preventing certain kinds of severe depression)
          but I have learned today that pumpkin seeds are a good source.
          I believe that the omega oils are only heat stable to 120 C, which
          I think means that seeds in bread will be denatured in the crust
          but protected in the middle of the loaf?

          Many thanks!

          Oh, and thank you for reprinting "Well fed - not an
          animal dead" :-)

          ttfn

          Amanda
        • Tony Martin
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
            Hi Amanda, I wish you well with the diet. I have been turning my garden into a forest garden for many years now, see

            http://homepage.ntlworld.com/veronicathecow/  for details, photos and some videos.

            You might be able to see some chick peas growing under the sunflowers. I got a crop from them the one other year that I tried (not huge, but useable) and the same with lentils. Garlics grow like grass here, and I have had a good crop of  Almonds most years. The Walnut tree(7 years old) produced three immature nuts last year and in total I got about 475lb of fruit and veg from about 1/20th of an acre (Ther toal land includes a house, front lawn, large sand pit etc and is about 1/10th of an acre).
            I am just moving to Wales and trying to do the same with 2 acres of wet pastureland. Fingers crossed.

            Cheers
            Tony