From Argentina...

  • Drakaika
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 9, 2003
      My name is Andrea Cordone, and I live in Cordoba,
      Argentina. I want some information about the follow
      species: Bromus mollis, Holcus lanatus, Spergula
      arvensis, Stelaria media... Are there edibles?
      All these species was find in the stomach of European
      mummys. The scientists find other species like Rumex
      acetocella and Viola arvensis.

      These species grown spontaneusly en Cordoba, La Pampa,
      Buenos Aires and other areas of Argentina.

      A kiss for all, and thank you,

      Andrea Cordone

      Yahoo! Sorteos - http://loteria.yahoo.es
      Juega a la Lotería Primitiva sin salir de casa
    • Weed Lady
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 9, 2003
        I can speak to the Stelaria Media, otherwise known as Common Chickweed, of
        which I just did a research project on including lots of photos, which you
        can read all about at www.wildfoodforagers.org/chickwd.htm It's considered a
        "choice" edible, and has many medicinal properties as well. It's one of my
        favorite wild foods, very versatile, delicious and highly nutritious.

        Standing "knee deep in abundance",
        The Weed Lady
        www.wildfoodforagers.org

        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 9, 2003
          Dear Andrea,

          Here is some information on those plants that I hope you find helpful.

          Stellaria media.

          This is probably he best edible from your list and also the most useful
          plant there. Its edible uses are as follows:-

          Young leaves - raw or cooked as a potherb[2, 7, 9, 12, 52, 54, 183]. They
          can be available all year round if the winter is not too severe[85]. Very
          nutritious, they can be added to salads whilst the cooked leaves can
          scarcely be distinguished from spring spinach[4, K]. The leaves contain
          saponins so some caution is advised, see the note on toxicity at the top of
          the page. A nutritional analysis is available[218].
          Seed - ground into a powder and used in making bread or to thicken
          soups[172, 183]. It would be very fiddly to harvest any quantity of this
          seed since it is produced in small quantities throughout most of the year
          and is very small[K]. The seed contains 17.8% protein and 5.9% fat[218].

          This is also an important medicinal plant, its qualities are listed below:-

          Chickweed has a very long history of herbal use, being particularly
          beneficial in the external treatment of any kind of itching skin
          condition[238]. It has been known to soothe severe itchiness even where all
          other remedies have failed[254]. In excess doses chickweed can cause
          diarrhoea and vomiting[254]. It should not be used medicinally by pregnant
          women[254].
          The whole plant is astringent, carminative, demulcent, diuretic,
          expectorant, laxative, refrigerant, vulnerary[4, 7, 9, 21, 54, 165, 222].
          Taken internally it is useful in the treatment of chest complaints and in
          small quantities it also aids digestion[254]. It can be applied as a
          poultice and will relieve any kind of roseola and is effective wherever
          there are fragile superficial veins[7]. An infusion of the fresh or dried
          herb can be added to the bath water and its emollient property will help to
          reduce inflammation - in rheumatic joints for example - and encourage tissue
          repair[254]. Chickweed is best harvested between May and July, it can be
          used fresh or be dried and stored for later use[4, 238].
          A decoction of the whole plant is taken internally as a post-partum
          depurative, emmenagogue, galactogogue and circulatory tonic[218]. It is also
          believed to relieve constipation and be beneficial in the treatment of
          kidney complaints[244]. The decoction is also used externally to treat
          rheumatic pains, wounds and ulcers[4, 218, 222].
          The expressed juice of the plant has been used as an eyewash[244].

          Some care has to be taken with it, however, as the Cautions on the plant's
          use indicate:-

          The leaves contain saponins[7, 65]. Although toxic, these substances are
          very poorly absorbed by the body and so tend to pass through without causing
          harm. They are also broken down by thorough cooking. Saponins are found in
          many plants, including several that are often used for food, such as certain
          beans. It is advisable not to eat large quantities of food that contain
          saponins. Saponins are much more toxic to some creatures, such as fish, and
          hunting tribes have traditionally put large quantities of them in streams,
          lakes etc in order to stupefy or kill the fish[K].

          Spergula arvensis

          This is also edible, but not many people would find it either appetizing or
          productive enough to want to eat it. The details are as follows:-

          Leaves and young plants[105]. No more details are given.
          Seed - cooked. It can be dried and ground into a meal then used with flour
          for making bread etc[2, 61, 106]. The seed is rich in oil[105]. A famine
          food, it is only used when all else fails[177]. The seed contains saponins
          so some caution is advised. See the notes above on toxicity.

          Like the plant above, it contains saponins and so some caution is advised.

          As regards Bromus mollis and Holcus lanatus, although these species do not
          appear in the PFAF database, like virtually all grasses their seeds are
          edible. However, I think it would be a very hungry and desperate person who
          would try to get their food from plants such as these since the seeds are so
          small and fiddly to harvest.

          Methods were developed in the past, though, to harvest and utilize foods
          from all different sources, including from a range of plants bearing small
          seeds. It was very common for the so-called primitive peoples to collect
          seeds from meadow-like environments, usually by women walking amongst the
          plants carrying a large plate and a stick, using the stick to hit the plants
          and dislodge the seeds which would then fall onto the plate. Whilst
          individual seeds would have been very small and fiddly to harvest, it was
          possible to harvest quite reasonable quantities which would then have been
          ground into a powder and cooked together in a kind of mush. Very commonly it
          would have been fermented to improve both its flavour and digestibility
          prior to cooking. One of the simplest ways of doing this, practiced in many
          areas of the world, was to spit into a paste made from the powdered seeds
          and leave it in a warm place for a day or so. Don't ask me what it tasted
          like, I've never really fancied food prepared in this way!!!!

          By the way, of the other two plants you mentioned, Rumex acetosella makes an
          excellent addition to the salad bowl and is also very productive.

          Hope this is of some help to you. If you want to know more about a wide
          range of useful plants then you can look them up in our on-line database at
          www.pfaf.org.

          My best wishes

          Ken Fern

          > My name is Andrea Cordone, and I live in Cordoba,
          > Argentina. I want some information about the follow
          > species: Bromus mollis, Holcus lanatus, Spergula
          > arvensis, Stelaria media... Are there edibles?
          > All these species was find in the stomach of European
          > mummys. The scientists find other species like Rumex
          > acetocella and Viola arvensis.
          >
          > These species grown spontaneusly en Cordoba, La Pampa,
          > Buenos Aires and other areas of Argentina.
          >
          > A kiss for all, and thank you,
          >
          > Andrea Cordone

        • Tony Martin
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 9, 2003
            Hi, went to look at your site (Index page) but could not seem to find
            links to other pages. Is it me? It looks very interesting and your posts
            to the group seem very informative.

            Many thanks

            Tony

            Weed Lady wrote:

            > I can speak to the Stelaria Media, otherwise known as Common Chickweed, of
            > which I just did a research project on including lots of photos, which you
            > can read all about at www.wildfoodforagers.org/chickwd.htm It's
            > considered a
            > "choice" edible, and has many medicinal properties as well. It's one of my
            > favorite wild foods, very versatile, delicious and highly nutritious.
            >
            > Standing "knee deep in abundance",
            > The Weed Lady
            > www.wildfoodforagers.org

          • Weed Lady
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 10, 2003
              Links are at the bottom, Page 2, Page 3, Chat Board. Hope you'll try again:

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 10, 2003
                Hi, I used the url pointing to the chickweed page, and found the links
                you mentioned (thank you), but I still can't find any links from the page
                http://www.wildfoodforagers.org/ to any other of your web pages. I
                have checked with I.E. and Mozilla browsers.

                Any thoughts appreciated.

                Thanks again
                Tony

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 10, 2003
                  Tony, that page links to a sample newsletter. You have to subscribe to
                  reach additional issues like the one I sent you on Chickweed. Subscriptions
                  are free, though, and come once a month. Each issue features one edible
                  weed--this month it's Spiderwort, and comes out on the 21st. What's
                  different about my approach is getting to know one weed at a time, and the
                  slide show which is almost as if a mentor was out there with you gathering
                  the weeds, then bringing them in to the kitchen to process, cook, store.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 10, 2003
                    Thanks for the info, I will add my name to the subscription list. I am
                    glad you told because otherwise I would have assumed the site was defunct.

                    Many thanks for what you are doing.

                    Cheers
                    Tony

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 11, 2003
                      Thank you Ken!!!

                      The information is usefull for me, because I´m
                      teaching permaculture in Cordoba city.

                      See you later in the cyberspace,

                      Andrea

                      PD (sorry for my english)

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 11, 2003
                        Thanks for the web page,

                        Best wishes

                        Andrea

                        Yahoo! Sorteos - http://loteria.yahoo.es
                        Juega a la Lotería Primitiva sin salir de casa
                      • charlywhat
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 12 7:46 AM
                          I am having a lot of trouble trying to find out if skunk cabbage
                          would be beneficial/detrimental, in the compost pile and at what %.
                          And or using it as a mulch, does it leach any unwanted toxins? Why
                          isn't` this, sometimes very abundant plant not utilized more?