Re: [pfaf]re:skunk cabbage

  • Anna Fraser
    Message 1 of 19 , May 28, 2003
      Hi, Don't know if  it's too late to add this. Here is a summary of my notes from (British) medical herbalists training. Have to add that I have never used the herb myself, as I preferred to use plants that are native British or which I've grown myself.

      Constituents: Volatile oil, resin, gums, sugars, acrid principle (never further identified scientifically as far as I'm aware), silica, iron, manganese.

      Main medicinal use was of the root -both the tuberous root and its rhizomes- (anti-spasmodic, expectorant, daiaphoretic, diuretic, emetic and mildly sedative properties).
      Main uses for this medicine were: Tense or spasmodic conditions of the respiratory system such as: Asthma, Bronchitis, Whooping cough, Irritable tight cough, Hayfever, Tightness in the chest. Has also been used for Fluid retention, Nervousness, Fevers and headaches.

      The MicMac Indians used the pungent smell (caused by the volatile oils) of crushed leaves to treat headaches simply by inhaling the smell.

      Doses are: 0.5 - 1 gram of the powdered root mixed  with a teaspoon of honey 3x a day.
      Fluid extract (1:1 in 25% alcohol): 0.5 - 1 ml 3x a day.
      Tincture (1:10 in 25% alcohol) 2-4 ml 3x a day.

      Cautions: The fresh herb and leaves can cause blistering of the skin. Larger doses can cause nausea and vomiting and may also have slightly narcotic symptoms (incl. dizziness, drowsiness, vertigo, etc.).
      The herb can cause kidney damage in wrong dosages.
      For all these reasons, I would avoid Skunk Cabbage for medicinal use in people who've had kidney conditions and in pregnancy and breast feeding.

      Love, Anna

      ---
    • Drakaika
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 9, 2003
        My name is Andrea Cordone, and I live in Cordoba,
        Argentina. I want some information about the follow
        species: Bromus mollis, Holcus lanatus, Spergula
        arvensis, Stelaria media... Are there edibles?
        All these species was find in the stomach of European
        mummys. The scientists find other species like Rumex
        acetocella and Viola arvensis.

        These species grown spontaneusly en Cordoba, La Pampa,
        Buenos Aires and other areas of Argentina.

        A kiss for all, and thank you,

        Andrea Cordone

        Yahoo! Sorteos - http://loteria.yahoo.es
        Juega a la Lotería Primitiva sin salir de casa
      • Weed Lady
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 9, 2003
          I can speak to the Stelaria Media, otherwise known as Common Chickweed, of
          which I just did a research project on including lots of photos, which you
          can read all about at www.wildfoodforagers.org/chickwd.htm It's considered a
          "choice" edible, and has many medicinal properties as well. It's one of my
          favorite wild foods, very versatile, delicious and highly nutritious.

          Standing "knee deep in abundance",
          The Weed Lady
          www.wildfoodforagers.org

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 9, 2003
            Dear Andrea,

            Here is some information on those plants that I hope you find helpful.

            Stellaria media.

            This is probably he best edible from your list and also the most useful
            plant there. Its edible uses are as follows:-

            Young leaves - raw or cooked as a potherb[2, 7, 9, 12, 52, 54, 183]. They
            can be available all year round if the winter is not too severe[85]. Very
            nutritious, they can be added to salads whilst the cooked leaves can
            scarcely be distinguished from spring spinach[4, K]. The leaves contain
            saponins so some caution is advised, see the note on toxicity at the top of
            the page. A nutritional analysis is available[218].
            Seed - ground into a powder and used in making bread or to thicken
            soups[172, 183]. It would be very fiddly to harvest any quantity of this
            seed since it is produced in small quantities throughout most of the year
            and is very small[K]. The seed contains 17.8% protein and 5.9% fat[218].

            This is also an important medicinal plant, its qualities are listed below:-

            Chickweed has a very long history of herbal use, being particularly
            beneficial in the external treatment of any kind of itching skin
            condition[238]. It has been known to soothe severe itchiness even where all
            other remedies have failed[254]. In excess doses chickweed can cause
            diarrhoea and vomiting[254]. It should not be used medicinally by pregnant
            women[254].
            The whole plant is astringent, carminative, demulcent, diuretic,
            expectorant, laxative, refrigerant, vulnerary[4, 7, 9, 21, 54, 165, 222].
            Taken internally it is useful in the treatment of chest complaints and in
            small quantities it also aids digestion[254]. It can be applied as a
            poultice and will relieve any kind of roseola and is effective wherever
            there are fragile superficial veins[7]. An infusion of the fresh or dried
            herb can be added to the bath water and its emollient property will help to
            reduce inflammation - in rheumatic joints for example - and encourage tissue
            repair[254]. Chickweed is best harvested between May and July, it can be
            used fresh or be dried and stored for later use[4, 238].
            A decoction of the whole plant is taken internally as a post-partum
            depurative, emmenagogue, galactogogue and circulatory tonic[218]. It is also
            believed to relieve constipation and be beneficial in the treatment of
            kidney complaints[244]. The decoction is also used externally to treat
            rheumatic pains, wounds and ulcers[4, 218, 222].
            The expressed juice of the plant has been used as an eyewash[244].

            Some care has to be taken with it, however, as the Cautions on the plant's
            use indicate:-

            The leaves contain saponins[7, 65]. Although toxic, these substances are
            very poorly absorbed by the body and so tend to pass through without causing
            harm. They are also broken down by thorough cooking. Saponins are found in
            many plants, including several that are often used for food, such as certain
            beans. It is advisable not to eat large quantities of food that contain
            saponins. Saponins are much more toxic to some creatures, such as fish, and
            hunting tribes have traditionally put large quantities of them in streams,
            lakes etc in order to stupefy or kill the fish[K].

            Spergula arvensis

            This is also edible, but not many people would find it either appetizing or
            productive enough to want to eat it. The details are as follows:-

            Leaves and young plants[105]. No more details are given.
            Seed - cooked. It can be dried and ground into a meal then used with flour
            for making bread etc[2, 61, 106]. The seed is rich in oil[105]. A famine
            food, it is only used when all else fails[177]. The seed contains saponins
            so some caution is advised. See the notes above on toxicity.

            Like the plant above, it contains saponins and so some caution is advised.

            As regards Bromus mollis and Holcus lanatus, although these species do not
            appear in the PFAF database, like virtually all grasses their seeds are
            edible. However, I think it would be a very hungry and desperate person who
            would try to get their food from plants such as these since the seeds are so
            small and fiddly to harvest.

            Methods were developed in the past, though, to harvest and utilize foods
            from all different sources, including from a range of plants bearing small
            seeds. It was very common for the so-called primitive peoples to collect
            seeds from meadow-like environments, usually by women walking amongst the
            plants carrying a large plate and a stick, using the stick to hit the plants
            and dislodge the seeds which would then fall onto the plate. Whilst
            individual seeds would have been very small and fiddly to harvest, it was
            possible to harvest quite reasonable quantities which would then have been
            ground into a powder and cooked together in a kind of mush. Very commonly it
            would have been fermented to improve both its flavour and digestibility
            prior to cooking. One of the simplest ways of doing this, practiced in many
            areas of the world, was to spit into a paste made from the powdered seeds
            and leave it in a warm place for a day or so. Don't ask me what it tasted
            like, I've never really fancied food prepared in this way!!!!

            By the way, of the other two plants you mentioned, Rumex acetosella makes an
            excellent addition to the salad bowl and is also very productive.

            Hope this is of some help to you. If you want to know more about a wide
            range of useful plants then you can look them up in our on-line database at
            www.pfaf.org.

            My best wishes

            Ken Fern

            > My name is Andrea Cordone, and I live in Cordoba,
            > Argentina. I want some information about the follow
            > species: Bromus mollis, Holcus lanatus, Spergula
            > arvensis, Stelaria media... Are there edibles?
            > All these species was find in the stomach of European
            > mummys. The scientists find other species like Rumex
            > acetocella and Viola arvensis.
            >
            > These species grown spontaneusly en Cordoba, La Pampa,
            > Buenos Aires and other areas of Argentina.
            >
            > A kiss for all, and thank you,
            >
            > Andrea Cordone

          • Tony Martin
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 9, 2003
              Hi, went to look at your site (Index page) but could not seem to find
              links to other pages. Is it me? It looks very interesting and your posts
              to the group seem very informative.

              Many thanks

              Tony

              Weed Lady wrote:

              > I can speak to the Stelaria Media, otherwise known as Common Chickweed, of
              > which I just did a research project on including lots of photos, which you
              > can read all about at www.wildfoodforagers.org/chickwd.htm It's
              > considered a
              > "choice" edible, and has many medicinal properties as well. It's one of my
              > favorite wild foods, very versatile, delicious and highly nutritious.
              >
              > Standing "knee deep in abundance",
              > The Weed Lady
              > www.wildfoodforagers.org

            • Weed Lady
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 10, 2003
                Links are at the bottom, Page 2, Page 3, Chat Board. Hope you'll try again:

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 10, 2003
                  Hi, I used the url pointing to the chickweed page, and found the links
                  you mentioned (thank you), but I still can't find any links from the page
                  http://www.wildfoodforagers.org/ to any other of your web pages. I
                  have checked with I.E. and Mozilla browsers.

                  Any thoughts appreciated.

                  Thanks again
                  Tony

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 10, 2003
                    Tony, that page links to a sample newsletter. You have to subscribe to
                    reach additional issues like the one I sent you on Chickweed. Subscriptions
                    are free, though, and come once a month. Each issue features one edible
                    weed--this month it's Spiderwort, and comes out on the 21st. What's
                    different about my approach is getting to know one weed at a time, and the
                    slide show which is almost as if a mentor was out there with you gathering
                    the weeds, then bringing them in to the kitchen to process, cook, store.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 10, 2003
                      Thanks for the info, I will add my name to the subscription list. I am
                      glad you told because otherwise I would have assumed the site was defunct.

                      Many thanks for what you are doing.

                      Cheers
                      Tony

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 11, 2003
                        Thank you Ken!!!

                        The information is usefull for me, because I´m
                        teaching permaculture in Cordoba city.

                        See you later in the cyberspace,

                        Andrea

                        PD (sorry for my english)

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 11, 2003
                          Thanks for the web page,

                          Best wishes

                          Andrea

                          Yahoo! Sorteos - http://loteria.yahoo.es
                          Juega a la Lotería Primitiva sin salir de casa
                        • charlywhat
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 12 7:46 AM
                            I am having a lot of trouble trying to find out if skunk cabbage
                            would be beneficial/detrimental, in the compost pile and at what %.
                            And or using it as a mulch, does it leach any unwanted toxins? Why
                            isn't` this, sometimes very abundant plant not utilized more?