Re: Plants for the Future

  • Richard Morris
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2001
      >From Dorothy Warnock <dwarnock@...>
      > Hi, my name is Dorothy, I have been thinking of starting a Plant
      > Nursery, but since I read about the things on your site I would like
      > to check into starting a similar project here in Georgia. I live in
      > Dublin, Georgia, USA and know of no other project in this surrounding
      > area. Can you give me info as to how to get started. I was going to
      > have to get a loan for the other business, so naturally I will with
      > this project. Can you give me a jump start on how to do this, because
      > I think we need to get back to the basics, and do away with all these
      > chemicals that are getting put on our food. I also love working with
      > plants and experimenting with different ways to improve food
      > production without harsh chemicals, and saving plants for medicinal
      > purposes, (this I really enjoy). I grew Herbs a couple of years and
      > sold to a local nursery. If you could point me in the right direction
      > I would really appreciate it.

      Dear Dorothy,

      Great to hear you might be starting a similar project, do keep
      us informed of how you do.

      We've taken quite a few wrong turns with our project and if we were to
      do it again things would definitely be different. Basically we brought
      a large piece of land 80 acres when we could not afford. Furthermore
      we did not have enough people to work the site and we did not have
      planning permission. This has all led to three very hard years but
      hopefully there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

      Things should really start with a realistic business plan, how much
      you can afford, how much work you can do, what you income is
      going to be. Forest gardening does take a long time scale to really
      bear fruit, you have to wait a good which for all the trees to bare
      fruit.

      The other option is to start small and grow organically, we definitely
      done the opposite which big schemes that we haven't been able to
      maintain.

      Getting the people side of things together is also very important.
      It can take a lots of work but having a good group to get things
      rolling is vital.

      I hope that of some help, sorry its so brief. I've also passed your
      email onto the new pfaf mailing list
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pfaf/
      someone there may also have some good advice.

      Good luck with the project

      Rich
      --
      Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
      Main Site: Blagdon Cross Plant Research and Demonstration Gardens,
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2001
        Dorothy,
        Hi I am a member of this group and also of WildForager, I am in Snellville Georgia just on the other side of Stone Mountain. Your project sounds great and if I can be of help, with resources here in Ga. let me know let me know.
        Linda Roberts

        Web:       http://www.pfaf.org/  or  http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/pfaf/