Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [pfaf] composting /skunk cabbage

Expand Messages
  • Ken Fern
    Skunk cabbage is poisonous when eaten raw, but it was often used as a food when cooked (which destroys the poisonous principle). To quote from the PFAF
    Message 1 of 7 , May 26, 2003
    • 0 Attachment
      Skunk cabbage is poisonous when eaten raw, but it was often used as a food
      when cooked (which destroys the poisonous principle). To quote from the PFAF
      database:-

      The plant is rich in calcium oxalate, this is toxic and if consumed makes
      the mouth and digestive tract feel as though hundreds of needles are being
      stuck into it. However, calcium oxalate is easily destroyed by thoroughly
      cooking or drying the plant.

      As far as I know, the plant is perfectly safe to use as a mulch or in the
      compost heap, it certainly produces very humus-rich soil wherever it grows.
      There are surprisingly few leaves that have negative effects upon plant
      growth or the soil - some such as walnut leaves and cherry laurel leaves can
      inhibit the growth of seedlings but this can be very helpful when using them
      as a mulch under established plants. I would certainly have no problems
      either in composting skunk cabbage or using it as a mulch

      All the best

      Ken Fern

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "auroragarden2002" <auroragarden2002@...>
      To: <pfaf@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, May 25, 2003 3:24 PM
      Subject: [pfaf] composting /skunk cabbage


      > Does anyone have Knowlege about using skunk cabbage as mulch, or in
      > the compost pile.Also any info on what nutrients or toxins it may
      > contain {pertaining to using it as mulch or in the compost pile} I`m
      > not interested in eating it . Or where I could search for the
      > info .
      > THANX
      >
      > Bren
      >
      >
      >
      > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      > pfaf-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
      >
      >
      >
      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      >
      >
    • manofpeace32
      - drying or cooking skunk cabage is the way to go. (I don t have experience wuiht it yet. It has a chemical called oxalate acid. I call It fiberglass(I don t
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 12, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        -
        drying or cooking skunk cabage is the way to go.
        (I don't have experience wuiht it yet.

        It has a chemical called oxalate acid.
        I call It fiberglass(I don't know)
        (if you put a piece on your tongue of ____skunk cabage___ you will see
        but I've ate it,
        thats why I call green dragon fiber glass berries.


        while Im on the subect I was just reading about
        some one(who know's their stuff)
        who dryed it, and it still had trace amounts.

        I have read on pfaf that 6 months it should be dryed for.
        (The topic I was reading was about coco flavor from the root,
        the guy that knew what HE was talking about said
        He thinks he needed to roast it, since he didn't have good sucess.
        with the coco flavor ,

        -- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Catherine Sweeney" <starwolfdreamer@...>
        wrote:
        >
        > When I was learning from an herbalist we went to collect mullien
        and she made sure I knew the differece between that and skunk
        cabbage. I was told it was highly toxic. So I would research to see
        if the toxicity would effect your mulch and plantings. Before putting
        a lot of work into it. It may be like deadly nightshade which has
        some health benifits but only if used correctly by someone who knows
        what they are doing. Caat
        >
        > All I've heard is that skunk cabbage is high in magnesium. I
        wouldn't assume that it is toxic.
        >
      • Hilary Robinson
        Plant material can be toxic to people and yet not be harmful in compost or mulches. Would you not put rhubarb leaves in your compost bin? Regards, Hilary
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 12, 2008
        • 0 Attachment
          Plant material can be toxic to people and yet not be harmful in compost or mulches. Would you not put rhubarb leaves in your compost bin?
          Regards, Hilary (Cheshire)



          To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
          From: manofpeace32@...
          Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 19:07:17 +0000
          Subject: [pfaf] Re: composting /skunk cabbage




















          -

          drying or cooking skunk cabage is the way to go.

          (I don't have experience wuiht it yet.



          It has a chemical called oxalate acid.

          I call It fiberglass(I don't know)

          (if you put a piece on your tongue of ____skunk cabage___ you will see

          but I've ate it,

          thats why I call green dragon fiber glass berries.



          while Im on the subect I was just reading about

          some one(who know's their stuff)

          who dryed it, and it still had trace amounts.



          I have read on pfaf that 6 months it should be dryed for.

          (The topic I was reading was about coco flavor from the root,

          the guy that knew what HE was talking about said

          He thinks he needed to roast it, since he didn't have good sucess.

          with the coco flavor ,



          -- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Catherine Sweeney" <starwolfdreamer@...>

          wrote:

          >

          > When I was learning from an herbalist we went to collect mullien

          and she made sure I knew the differece between that and skunk

          cabbage. I was told it was highly toxic. So I would research to see

          if the toxicity would effect your mulch and plantings. Before putting

          a lot of work into it. It may be like deadly nightshade which has

          some health benifits but only if used correctly by someone who knows

          what they are doing. Caat

          >

          > All I've heard is that skunk cabbage is high in magnesium. I

          wouldn't assume that it is toxic.

          >

























          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • ossi
          Hi, Just a note, that soluble oxalic acid of rhubarb and insoluble calcium oxalate crystals of water arum, taro and other plants of araceae family are
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 12, 2008
          • 0 Attachment
            Hi,

            Just a note, that soluble oxalic acid of rhubarb and insoluble calcium
            oxalate crystals of water arum, taro and other plants of araceae family
            are different in the way they are poisonous to humans.

            Irritation caused by calcium oxalate present in plants can be increased
            due to proteolytic enzymes, which surround the crystals. In case of water
            arum, there are also other poisonous substances present which are not as
            far as I know fully chemically identified, but include aroine alkaloid
            (which resembles konine of hemlock), saponins and prussic acid.

            Traditional treatment for water arum roots in Fennoscandia is through
            careful preparation by cutting them into small pieces, boiling them (for
            half an hour), leaving them to dry for a few days and then grinding into a
            powder, which was used in baking (traditional baking meant usually
            fermented sour dough)... I wonder is it that cooking and discarding the
            water gets rid of the other toxic substances, but drying (and
            fermentation) is needed to remove rest of the oxalates ?

            ossi (fennoscandia)

            > Plant material can be toxic to people and yet not be harmful in compost or
            > mulches. Would you not put rhubarb leaves in your compost bin?
            > Regards, Hilary (Cheshire)
            >
            > From: manofpeace32@...
            > Subject: [pfaf] Re: composting /skunk cabbage
            >
            > drying or cooking skunk cabage is the way to go.
            >
            > (I don't have experience wuiht it yet.
            >
            > It has a chemical called oxalate acid.
            >
            > while Im on the subect I was just reading about
            >
            > some one(who know's their stuff)
            >
            > who dryed it, and it still had trace amounts.
            >
            > I have read on pfaf that 6 months it should be dryed for.
            >
          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.