Do Jerusalem Artichokes flower in the UK?

  • n_udoh
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 10, 2008
      Namaste,

      I just wondered if anyone has experience of growing them in the UK.
      Mine are currently 3m +/- tall, growing in the W. Midlands. There seems
      to be conflicting information available regarding whether they have
      time to flower before being cut down by the first frosts.

      Peace
    • Richard Morris
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 10, 2008
        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "n_udoh" <n_udoh@...> wrote:

        > Namaste,
        >
        > I just wondered if anyone has experience of growing them in the UK.
        > Mine are currently 3m +/- tall, growing in the W. Midlands. There seems
        > to be conflicting information available regarding whether they have
        > time to flower before being cut down by the first frosts.

        Mine have certainly flowered, but I do live in south east cornwall
        which is one of milder climates in the UK.

        Rich
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 10, 2008
          That would depend on the variety you are growing,
          som might flower ,others not,
          That is how it is in Norway..

          > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "n_udoh" <n_udoh@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Namaste,
          > >
          > > I just wondered if anyone has experience of growing them in the UK.
          > > Mine are currently 3m +/- tall, growing in the W. Midlands. There seems
          > > to be conflicting information available regarding whether they have
          > > time to flower before being cut down by the first frosts.
          >
          > Mine have certainly flowered, but I do live in south east cornwall
          > which is one of milder climates in the UK.
          >
          > Rich

        • Sara Elbrai
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 10, 2008
            Many varieties simply do not flower even in areas warmer than the UK. Some of the flowering varieties should be able to flower in the UK though.

            Sara

            > I just wondered if anyone has experience of growing them in
            > the UK.
            > Mine are currently 3m +/- tall, growing in the W. Midlands.
            > There seems
            > to be conflicting information available regarding whether
            > they have
            > time to flower before being cut down by the first frosts.
            >
            > Peace

          • Cesca Beamish
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 11, 2008
              My artichokes have flowered for the last 2 years and look like they are
              about to for the 3rd. I couldn't say what variety they are as I have had
              them for many years.

              Cesca

              Leicester

              _____

              > I just wondered if anyone has experience of growing them in the UK.
              > Mine are currently 3m +/- tall, growing in the W. Midlands. There seems
              > to be conflicting information available regarding whether they have
              > time to flower before being cut down by the first frosts.

              Mine have certainly flowered, but I do live in south east cornwall
              which is one of milder climates in the UK.

              Rich

            • v.scherrer
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 11, 2008
                Reportedly there are varieties which flower more readily than others.
                But unless you're particularly looking for the added bonus of flowers
                or seeds (which are most unlikely to ripen where you live), the tubers
                probably benefit if the plant doesn't "divert" energy into the
                formation of flowers.
                For those looking to produce the best possible quality tubers, it
                might even be worth it to remove the flower buds, as carried out on
                e.g. garlic and many other "alliums".

                Vital

                --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "n_udoh" <n_udoh@...> wrote:

                > Namaste,
                >
                > I just wondered if anyone has experience of growing them in the UK.
                > Mine are currently 3m +/- tall, growing in the W. Midlands. There seems
                > to be conflicting information available regarding whether they have
                > time to flower before being cut down by the first frosts.
                >
                > Peace

              • orb orb
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 13, 2008
                  They somrtimes flower here in Norfolk. Aub