Re: [pfaf] JACK FRUIT does not grow in Canada - Dr Parmar

  • Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2008
      Dear Sara and others,

      It is true that I live in India. It is also true that jackfruit is a
      tropical tree and cannot withstand cold or sub zero temperatures.

      But it is not impossible to have a jackfruit tree at a place in Canada.
      Well it does not mean that jackfruit can be cultivated in Canada.

      I am not familiar with Canada but what I know that there are areas in Canada
      where it is not that cold in winter. Moreover, especially around homes.
      there are always some spots which remain protected from cold due to
      proximity to walls or buildings and temperatures do not go below zero. If
      you have some warm area plant at such location it, survives and even also
      fruits.

      I live at a place called Mandi in the state Himachal Pradesh in North West
      India. It is in hills and has a harsh climate. The winter minimum
      temperature on some nights can reach 25 F.

      But there is a small garden here surrounded by buildings and a 40 ft high
      wall on one side. In fact it is hotel and in the garden they have a very
      popular restaurant of the town. In this garden there is a large tree of
      bearing tree carambola which I am seeing for the past 60 years. There is
      also a jackfruit tree, some papayas, tropical bamboos and even few orchids.
      The place is part of palace premises of the erstwhile princely state.

      I think some intelligent in charge of the palace garden could note the
      natural protection at this spot which might be about 500 square metres and
      planted tropical plants here which have been growing for decades. The name
      of this hotel is Rajmahal Hotel and it is listed in Lonely Planet too. I
      shall send pictures of the trees some day.

      But this does no mean that Mandi is suitable for growing carambola or
      jackfruits.

      The place where this jackfruit trees is there in Canada must be naturally
      protected spot like our Raj Mahal Hotel garden here.

      Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
      www.fruitipedia.com