Re: Hi, Y'all - or introducing myself

  • maartendeprez
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 7, 2008
      Anjaleck wrote:
      > Do you know anything about mesquite fruit? I know the blossoms
      attract bees and a great honey results.

      Mesquite flour from dried pods has been used for food by native
      people. You can guess that it's use declined after western engagement.
      Nowadays it's again promoted as healthy food to help control diabetes,
      which is widespread among the native population. Wikipedia has some
      information:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesquite#Food

      Greetings,
      Maarten
    • Anjaleck
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 7, 2008
        Hi, Maarten,

        Thank you for the information!
        Hugs,
        Anj

      • Jim
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 11, 2008
          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "anjaleck" <anjaleck@...> wrote:

          > Hi, y'all,
          >
          > I'm brand new here. Just found this group and subscribed today. We
          > live on a small ranch in north central (or maybe east would be a
          > better description) Texas, about 60 miles east and slightly south of
          > Dallas.
          >
          > I found this group because I was doing an Internet research/search
          > about grapes. We've got the typical mustang grapes growing here,
          but
          > I've found what I think is another variety and was trying to find
          > information on it. Alas, I got sidetracked (as always) and ended up
          > here. Now, that is NOT meant as a derogatory statement about the
          > group, it was meant as a derogatory statement about myself and my
          > attention span! *grin*
          >
          > As far as I know, right now we have the mustang grapes and
          persimmons
          > growing on the property... Oh.. and dewberries. The reason I
          say "as
          > far as I know" is because there is a lot of acreage I have not had
          the
          > time to investigate. I thought I saw some bee balm one day, but it
          > might be a native mint of another kind. There is so much growth
          here!
          > I think the property is a semi-wetland only because we seem to be
          the
          > drainage area for a large ranch that mostly surrounds our property.
          > We've got a creek bed going across the front of the property that is
          > dry during the summer, but is filled anytime we have a rain...
          errr...
          > well, enough rain. Considering it was 107 here today in the shade
          and
          > the last sprinkle we got was almost two weeks ago, it's very dry
          right
          > now and would take a gully-washer to get the water running again.
          > Oops, there I go again... off onto a subject I didn't intend to go
          into.

          > Anyway... we have about 50% woodland and 50% pasture land. I
          noticed
          > some humungous mushroom balls growing down by the tank (oh, pond to
          > those who don't live in Texas) but didn't know if they were the safe
          > variety or not. I've been behind the tank enough to know we've got
          > some good bermuda grass there, but didn't get into the drainage
          area.
          > Heck, it's gonna take a machete to get into it to investigate!
          There
          > are so many brambles and sticky/pokey things around here. Uh-oh, I
          > need to get to the point!
          >
          > Do any of y'all out there know what kind of "wild thangs" I might
          want
          > to look for when I next get to adventuring?
          >
          > Thanks for your time (especially if y'all read this far!).
          > Hugs,
          > Anj

          Welcome aboard matey!!

          ..sounds like you are surrounded by huge amounts of lush growth and
          foods. Do you have squirrels to eat? (sorry!, previous thread!)

          Jim
        • Anjaleck
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 12, 2008
            LOL... Hi, Jim, and thanks for the welcome. Well, we DO have squirrels, but they aren't as numerous or as large as they are about 800 miles further north (where I grew up). I ate 'em when I was a kid and remember they were very tasty.

            Lush growth depends on the time of year. Spring and early summer, yes, and even fall if we get fall rains. It tends to be really dry here in high summer. I haven't had to mow the yard for three or four weeks because nothing is growing. We've lost a pine tree *sob*, but nothing else so far.

            Too bad you aren't over/around here. Maarten gave me a wonderful tip and I've now collected quite a few Mesquite beans and intend to make some jelly! *chortles* I tried chewing on a couple of bean pods and it really does taste a lot like honey.

            And... if I can ever find a way to dig the roots without getting scratched to pieces, I intend to dig some of the greenbriar smilax around here. Found out the roots are supposed to be wonderful.. and we have TONS of that. All the kinds of stuff I don't want grow like crazy (poison ivy included) even when it's dry.

            Thanks again for the welcome!
            Hugs,
            Anj

          • Jim
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 14, 2008
              My family lived in the USA when I was 2/3 years old. My Dad once got
              covered with poison ivy rash. To my mum it was a hot an hostile natural
              environment compared to the benign countryside of England.
            • Pat Meadows
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 14, 2008
                On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 09:58:47 -0000, you wrote:

                >My family lived in the USA when I was 2/3 years old. My Dad once got
                >covered with poison ivy rash. To my mum it was a hot an hostile natural
                >environment compared to the benign countryside of England.

                Some parts of it are less hot and humid than others, however, as the USA is
                a geographically tremendous country, with many varied climates. Some parts
                aren't hot and humid at all, in fact.

                But hostile - I suppose it could be so considered.

                There are bears; there are mountain lions in many parts of the USA.
                Poisonous snakes too (although I believe England has at least one mildly
                poisonous snake also).

                All of these - for the most part - run from people. But of course it only
                takes one mountain lion or bear attack to ruin your whole day! <g>

                There is poison ivy in most places - you learn to recognize and avoid it
                when you live here, however.

                Personally, I consider it a tremendous privilege to live in an area that
                has abundant wildlife, including bears (and possibly mountain lions as
                well). I can still barely believe my good fortune in living in such a
                rural area, even after having been here seven years.

                Pat
                -- northern Pennsylvania
                Website: www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html

              • daniel wildman
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 14, 2008
                  Hi Anj: Welcome to the group, i hope you find the information helpful if you are looking for informationabout plants, but here you mention squirrels, an since I am not sure whre you are an were 800mi away, that the squirrels arent as numerous or as large, We here in the US in there is a squirrel called the Fox Squirrel (Sciurus niger) that is largest species of tree squirrels native to North America. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Squirrel
                  at a woping:
                  Total body length measures 45 to 70 cm (17.71" - 27.55"), tail length is 20 to 33 cm(7.87" - 13") , and they range in weight from 500 to 1000 grams (1.1 lbs - 2.2 lbs.).
                  I say it is "Large" dont know about tasty though, there is a Delmarva Fox Squirrel, Sciurus niger cinereus, is an endangered subspecies of fox squirrel. So i dont think you could eat that without be caught, an or arrested,an even fined, or both.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delmarva_fox_squirrel

                  But this site is to be about plant used for medical an or food use, so I will get off this subject
                  Thank You Dan

                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 15, 2008
                    Howdy, Jim,

                    I would consider Texas to be a hot and hostile environment. I viewed the pictures you posted and I would say England is lush while Texas is rampant. *grin* Poison ivy is a real problem. I am sensitive to it and have to be careful where I mow when it's dry, since even the dead plant contains the irritating oils that can set off a reaction, and I get covered with dust when I mow.

                    Hugs,
                    Anj

                  • Anjaleck
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 15, 2008
                      Hi, Dan,

                      I grew up in northwestern Iowa, Sioux City, to be exact. I now live in north central/east Texas. The differences between the two areas is so great I'm still learning about what will and won't grow in our area. I KNEW the wild plants and trees in Iowa like I will never know them here, I'm afraid.

                      Almost all the comparable wildlife here is smaller than it was in Iowa. I think it is the difference in forage available. With the rich loess soil along the bluffs (where I lived), ANYTHING would grow and grow well as long as it fit in the cold zone. Here it's another matter.

                      Iowa has extremes of weather that make it tough on plant life but there is usually plenty of rain. Here the heat and dryness of summer tend to kill off any non-native (and sometimes native too) growth.

                      Thanks for replying about the squirrels. *grin*
                      Hugs,
                      Anj

                    • v.scherrer
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 17, 2008
                        Olá Anj,

                        I read that the burr oak, Quercus macrocarpa, with it's large edible
                        acorns, has even larger ones the further south they grow. As it is
                        supposed to grow in Texas, some seedlings of the specimens, which may
                        be growing in your area, sound to me like a must have for you.

                        Vital

                        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Anjaleck" <anjaleck@...> wrote:

                        > Hi, Dan,
                        >
                        > I grew up in northwestern Iowa, Sioux City, to be exact. I now live
                        in north central/east Texas. The differences between the two areas is
                        so great I'm still learning about what will and won't grow in our
                        area. I KNEW the wild plants and trees in Iowa like I will never know
                        them here, I'm afraid.

                        > Almost all the comparable wildlife here is smaller than it was in
                        Iowa. I think it is the difference in forage available. With the
                        rich loess soil along the bluffs (where I lived), ANYTHING would grow
                        and grow well as long as it fit in the cold zone. Here it's another
                        matter.

                        > Iowa has extremes of weather that make it tough on plant life but
                        there is usually plenty of rain. Here the heat and dryness of summer
                        tend to kill off any non-native (and sometimes native too) growth.

                        > Thanks for replying about the squirrels. *grin*
                        > Hugs,
                        > Anj

                      • Jim
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 17, 2008
                          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "v.scherrer" <vital233@...> wrote:

                          > Olá Anj,
                          >
                          > I read that the burr oak, Quercus macrocarpa, with it's large edible
                          > acorns, has even larger ones the further south they grow. As it is
                          > supposed to grow in Texas, some seedlings of the specimens, which
                          may
                          > be growing in your area, sound to me like a must have for you.
                          >
                          > Vital
                          >

                          > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Anjaleck" <anjaleck@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi, Dan,
                          > >
                          > > I grew up in northwestern Iowa, Sioux City, to be exact. I now
                          live
                          > in north central/east Texas. The differences between the two areas
                          is
                          > so great I'm still learning about what will and won't grow in our
                          > area. I KNEW the wild plants and trees in Iowa like I will never
                          know
                          > them here, I'm afraid.
                          > >
                          > > Almost all the comparable wildlife here is smaller than it was in
                          > Iowa. I think it is the difference in forage available. With the
                          > rich loess soil along the bluffs (where I lived), ANYTHING would
                          grow
                          > and grow well as long as it fit in the cold zone. Here it's another
                          > matter.
                          > >
                          > > Iowa has extremes of weather that make it tough on plant life but
                          > there is usually plenty of rain. Here the heat and dryness of
                          summer
                          > tend to kill off any non-native (and sometimes native too) growth.
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for replying about the squirrels. *grin*
                          > > Hugs,
                          > > Anj

                          Yes indeedy..haha, reality isn't quite as striaghtforward as I
                          thought a few years ago. You can go from reality to another through a
                          sort of consciousness, urgh, got try and do it now in order to write
                          it, obviously, haha. So the Makah eat Whale. So would I if I was so
                          honoured. I've found that at least masonic orientated christianit,
                          which means most of it basically is a nightmarish reality trap - a
                          piss fear reality at some level of consciousness that means you
                          cannot change properly on any level...so be carefull animal rights
                          fascsists. because thats what you are trying to do with your 'wiccan'
                          anti Makah ritual abuse...so you will end up in the same place as the
                          maosonic ritual child abusers. This is a fact. So you'd better be
                          aware of this before you take you campaign against the Makah any
                          further.

                          I've just been given a painting by Leonard Peltier. This an
                          incredible honour.

                          Blessed be.
                        • Jim
                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 17, 2008
                            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Anjaleck" <anjaleck@...> wrote:

                            > Howdy, Jim,
                            >
                            > I would consider Texas to be a hot and hostile environment. I
                            viewed the pictures you posted and I would say England is lush while
                            Texas is rampant. *grin* Poison ivy is a real problem. I am
                            sensitive to it and have to be careful where I mow when it's dry,
                            since even the dead plant contains the irritating oils that can set
                            off a reaction, and I get covered with dust when I mow.

                            > Hugs,
                            > Anj

                            awight matey! You must visit my dear..or geezer...haha, shall we make

                            PFAF into a dating agency! haha, dont worry oinly joking, lets go
                            back to anarchist black. cyberspace is very danerous stuff to try and
                            bend. You have to have respct for Richard...urgh where are you
                            m8...see not there a true anarchist...some occult as well a
                            blackflag....haha, beast realty...so it will fall.

                            Blessed be

                            Heres the link:

                            http://www.whoisleonardpeltier.info/

                            http://www.whoisleonardpeltier.info/
                            \
                          • Jim
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 17, 2008
                              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Anjaleck" <anjaleck@...> wrote:

                              > Howdy, Jim,
                              >
                              > I would consider Texas to be a hot and hostile environment. I
                              viewed the pictures you posted and I would say England is lush while
                              Texas is rampant. *grin* Poison ivy is a real problem. I am
                              sensitive to it and have to be careful where I mow when it's dry,
                              since even the dead plant contains the irritating oils that can set
                              off a reaction, and I get covered with dust when I mow.

                              > Hugs,
                              > Anj

                              >way

                              Put some pictures on the website!! (everyone!)

                              I told a BBC journalist about this site by the way everyone - she
                              doing a film about Jim the wildlife criminal because i gassed some
                              badgers and eat the flesh and truned into a magic mushroom and then
                              transmutated into a bat.

                              Blessed be

                              ...urgh i cant post that, its way too weird. she is doing a film
                              about wildlife crimne in wales, and i will be briefly show apparently
                              due to my crime of criminal damage to small scots pine and larch
                              trees in law. so i emailed her all that verbage i posted up here
                              about nut growing, because thats wha i was planting instead of the
                              scots pine etc - there are already lioterally 650 acres of these
                              basically nonnative trees - the native tree cover would
                              be 'greenwood' of myth and old and new. blessed be. thasts what
                              squirrelman, the red squirrel single issue moron insists on planting
                              these trees because basically they are a traditional forestry
                              Commission tfavurite. The FC is responsible for the coniferisation of
                              the britians forestry landscape since 1918 - a war time stargegic
                              reserve of panic wood gone wrong...a horrific wasted oppourtunity to
                              create a native woodland to better France. And now (accent turning
                              softly germanic), "you and your family vill die in fear horror and
                              pain of a global warming armagedon that will be worse than the most
                              frightening horror film you have ever seen. And I will be smoking
                              charras in India alternating bewteen 2 realities. One where the
                              ritual child abusers are defeated and righteousness rules. Jah
                              Bless...and one where the 'old age' western type disease of masonic
                              abuse world still maintains..actually no i wont be aware of that
                              where i'll be. Temperature will get as hot as literally boiling water
                              and so you'll need to execute yourself or have transcended physical
                              pain etc...i have dome this to some extent about some things...but
                              not others...like the bird magic thats happening aound me. where i am
                              here is another place not shown in the potos, and never will be.
                              there is nothing here but a computer and you.
                            • v.scherrer
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 19, 2008
                                --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <cromlech108@...> wrote:

                                > ...urgh i cant post that, its way too weird.

                                Sorry, but pretty much everything you just wrote sounds sort of "way
                                too weird" to me - not without somehow or other an entertaining as
                                well as worrisome aspect to it.
                                It may be just me, but I wonder how all this makes it past the
                                moderator - unfortunately hardly any content about plants for a future.
                                Sounds somehow like a subconscious cry for help(?). But as long as
                                you're enjoying yourself, there's probably not much anybody can do for
                                you.
                                No offense, but aren't you the one with the drug issue? I had my
                                luckily way back "short" experience with that too,
                                Sure, life is often worrisome. But regular(?)(daily) drug use doesn't
                                really help in the long run. While we're here, we might as well make
                                the best out of it, for us and for our legacy - which should be
                                interconnected. I wonder whether that's possible with drugs?
                                Did you ever try to get high on natures beauty and wonders without the
                                dependency on popping anything "artificially"? Now that's a task to
                                tackle!
                                Though I admit, the question remains to be answered conclusively: What
                                is the best?

                                Sobriety and astonishment!

                                Vital

                                > I told a BBC journalist about this site by the way everyone - she
                                > doing a film about Jim the wildlife criminal because i gassed some
                                > badgers and eat the flesh and truned into a magic mushroom and then
                                > transmutated into a bat.
                                >
                                > Blessed be
                                >
                                > ...urgh i cant post that, its way too weird. she is doing a film
                                > about wildlife crimne in wales, and i will be briefly show apparently
                                > due to my crime of criminal damage to small scots pine and larch
                                > trees in law. so i emailed her all that verbage i posted up here
                                > about nut growing, because thats wha i was planting instead of the
                                > scots pine etc - there are already lioterally 650 acres of these
                                > basically nonnative trees - the native tree cover would
                                > be 'greenwood' of myth and old and new. blessed be. thasts what
                                > squirrelman, the red squirrel single issue moron insists on planting
                                > these trees because basically they are a traditional forestry
                                > Commission tfavurite. The FC is responsible for the coniferisation of
                                > the britians forestry landscape since 1918 - a war time stargegic
                                > reserve of panic wood gone wrong...a horrific wasted oppourtunity to
                                > create a native woodland to better France. And now (accent turning
                                > softly germanic), "you and your family vill die in fear horror and
                                > pain of a global warming armagedon that will be worse than the most
                                > frightening horror film you have ever seen. And I will be smoking
                                > charras in India alternating bewteen 2 realities. One where the
                                > ritual child abusers are defeated and righteousness rules. Jah
                                > Bless...and one where the 'old age' western type disease of masonic
                                > abuse world still maintains..actually no i wont be aware of that
                                > where i'll be. Temperature will get as hot as literally boiling water
                                > and so you'll need to execute yourself or have transcended physical
                                > pain etc...i have dome this to some extent about some things...but
                                > not others...like the bird magic thats happening aound me. where i am
                                > here is another place not shown in the potos, and never will be.
                                > there is nothing here but a computer and you.

                              • Mary Lloyd
                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 19, 2008
                                  Hello again,
                                  If I remember rightly from previous drug discussion after I first joined, the moderator is also off his head.
                                  What discussion might we have to prevent the offensive here? I would be willing to moderate since I already moderate on another Yahoo group and I know how it works. It isn't hard. You just switch the settings and delete the crap. Let me know.
                                  Love, Whinnie

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 20, 2008
                                    --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Lloyd" <mary@...> wrote:

                                    > Hello again,
                                    > If I remember rightly from previous drug discussion after I first
                                    joined, the moderator is also off his head.

                                    Olá Whinnie,

                                    I don't remember that problem with the moderator. But there was a post
                                    of one about a request for an additional voluntary moderator. So I
                                    reckon you should be welcome with your offer.

                                    Actually I don't mind such discussions as long as they are sane,
                                    prudent, objective, sensible and constructive(-minded). After all this
                                    is an issue of plants as well as, unfortunately, the future too. Who
                                    knows, one way or another, it might be possible to improve the
                                    situation of somebody who is suffering of such a disorder.

                                    To Jim I would like to add that I would like to apologise if anything
                                    I wrote was wrong, and if you're interested in a discussion off list,
                                    then feel free to email me directly. Though I'm not actually a
                                    counselor, but - hopefully - it can't hurt to try.

                                    Just the other night I heard a statement of an ex-drug addict that
                                    e.g. a lot of the GIs who became drug addicted in the Vietnam war
                                    because they couldn't find another way to deal with all the horrific
                                    atrocities they saw, and had to commit, that when they returned to
                                    their loved ones, many of them were able to just drop the addiction.

                                    I can only confirm that in most cases such an abuse has a lot, if not
                                    all, to do with misinformation, misjudgement and probably most of all,
                                    bad company and/or the lack of relations which provide love and
                                    caring, as well as some kind of protection and a feeling of security.
                                    I.e., addicts are not to blame in the first place. Even recklessness
                                    and imprudence seem to be (possibly even genetically?) inherited.
                                    Nobody likes to loose self-control and become dependent on something
                                    which distracts from what one really would like to make of ones life.

                                    So let's forget about whatever unsound material consumption habits we
                                    indulge in and keep focused on the meaningful relations, be it with
                                    our fellow being or whatever part of nature.

                                    Sorry! I know, big words and unfortunately too often easier said than
                                    done.

                                    Anyway, cheerios!

                                    Vital

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 20, 2008
                                      Blessings Vital!
                                      I am up for any plant discussion including those on drugs, but I would want to draw the line when drug-taking is exalted in such a way as to encourage kids to get themselves into trouble, either with the police...some countries haven't legalised cannabis yet for instance....or in terms of psychological problems or other health problems associated with taking it.
                                      I am in my fifties now but remember well the hippy years and the casualties that were regular as a result of too much of something. In later years I started work with homeless people and of course there is drug addiction out on the street and lives are destroyed because of it.
                                      It would be good to get the balance: it doesn't do to be up either end of the extremes in viewpoint and that is what discussion achieves mainly.
                                      It wasn't the drug thing that offended me, but the thought of someone gassing badgers. And I wouldn't want to be off my head and let something really bad come through in the mail, thats just irresponsible.
                                      You sound such a nice person. I so agree that love resolves a lot of troubles that the lack of it undoubtedly causes.
                                      Love, Whinnie