Re: Lotus edulis

  • sjalge
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
      > http://ecocrop.fao.org/ecocrop/srv/en/dataSheet?id=7412
      >
      > For a comparison with the asparagus pea see:
      >
      > http://ecocrop.fao.org/ecocrop/srv/en/dataSheet?id=1807

      vital - Great links! For acid soil (if it is also sandy/rocky) and if
      you live somewhere cool enough you might consider Comptonia peregrina.
      It makes great tea, fixes nitrogen (symbiotically of course) and it
      is clonal so it will spread without having to seed. The Fabaceae form
      symbioses with rhyzobia which are common in many soils, so I would be
      surprised if the lack of their symbiont was the reason for the species
      failing. The way to be more confident in that assessment is to dig
      them up and see if the roots are nodulating. If they are then they
      have most likely found the rhyzobia and are failing due to other
      causes. Hope this helps.
    • v.scherrer
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 5, 2008
        Thanks a lot! This should help.
        Although I'm pretty well off with nitrogen fixing shrubs, but this
        plant sounds just so irresistibly desirable - tolerant of drought, of
        acid and poor soil - I've got more than I could wish for of that - and
        a size which is not likely to demand any effort - definitely a must
        have for my collection. Though it may not fruit due to low chill
        winters, but I wouldn't expect it suffer otherwise from lack of cold.

        Re rhyzobia, I read once that such plants may nodulate anyway, but
        that one can tell whether they are actually fixing nitrogen, if the
        nodules are brownish inside, rather than white.
        According to some sources of information, even within the family of
        the Fabaceae, there are many different species or genera which require
        different rhyzobia.