Re: [pfaf] Re: Lotus edulis

  • Gail Lloyd
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
           "edulis" in a botanical name only means that some part of the plant (or animal) is edible - not necessarily the whole plant (or animal).
           For instance, Pinus edulis has edible pine nuts, you can't eat the needles or the trunk.
           There is a clam that has a botanical name that includes "edulis" - you wouldn't eat the clam shell.
      Gail
      (horticulturist & M.G.)

      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
        > http://ecocrop.fao.org/ecocrop/srv/en/dataSheet?id=7412
        >
        > For a comparison with the asparagus pea see:
        >
        > http://ecocrop.fao.org/ecocrop/srv/en/dataSheet?id=1807

        vital - Great links! For acid soil (if it is also sandy/rocky) and if
        you live somewhere cool enough you might consider Comptonia peregrina.
        It makes great tea, fixes nitrogen (symbiotically of course) and it
        is clonal so it will spread without having to seed. The Fabaceae form
        symbioses with rhyzobia which are common in many soils, so I would be
        surprised if the lack of their symbiont was the reason for the species
        failing. The way to be more confident in that assessment is to dig
        them up and see if the roots are nodulating. If they are then they
        have most likely found the rhyzobia and are failing due to other
        causes. Hope this helps.
      • v.scherrer
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 5, 2008
          Thanks a lot! This should help.
          Although I'm pretty well off with nitrogen fixing shrubs, but this
          plant sounds just so irresistibly desirable - tolerant of drought, of
          acid and poor soil - I've got more than I could wish for of that - and
          a size which is not likely to demand any effort - definitely a must
          have for my collection. Though it may not fruit due to low chill
          winters, but I wouldn't expect it suffer otherwise from lack of cold.

          Re rhyzobia, I read once that such plants may nodulate anyway, but
          that one can tell whether they are actually fixing nitrogen, if the
          nodules are brownish inside, rather than white.
          According to some sources of information, even within the family of
          the Fabaceae, there are many different species or genera which require
          different rhyzobia.