Re: Lotus edulis

  • sjalge
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 29, 2008
      > But I wonder why one would want to grow this - due to the small pods -
      > rather laborious annual, unless sandy, stony or rocky soil is all you
      > have - where it may self-seed.
      > If I would get reasonably cold winters, I would prefer to grow the
      > Caragana arborescens - Siberian Pea Tree.

      Caragana arborescens would be great, and I prefer perennial species if
      I can grow them. Unfortunately, at this point I move around every
      couple years and so I am more restricted to annual species. I will be
      sure to add Caragana arborescens to the "if I ever settle down" plant
      wish list.
    • Gail Lloyd
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
             "edulis" in a botanical name only means that some part of the plant (or animal) is edible - not necessarily the whole plant (or animal).
             For instance, Pinus edulis has edible pine nuts, you can't eat the needles or the trunk.
             There is a clam that has a botanical name that includes "edulis" - you wouldn't eat the clam shell.
        Gail
        (horticulturist & M.G.)

        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
          > http://ecocrop.fao.org/ecocrop/srv/en/dataSheet?id=7412
          >
          > For a comparison with the asparagus pea see:
          >
          > http://ecocrop.fao.org/ecocrop/srv/en/dataSheet?id=1807

          vital - Great links! For acid soil (if it is also sandy/rocky) and if
          you live somewhere cool enough you might consider Comptonia peregrina.
          It makes great tea, fixes nitrogen (symbiotically of course) and it
          is clonal so it will spread without having to seed. The Fabaceae form
          symbioses with rhyzobia which are common in many soils, so I would be
          surprised if the lack of their symbiont was the reason for the species
          failing. The way to be more confident in that assessment is to dig
          them up and see if the roots are nodulating. If they are then they
          have most likely found the rhyzobia and are failing due to other
          causes. Hope this helps.
        • v.scherrer
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 5, 2008
            Thanks a lot! This should help.
            Although I'm pretty well off with nitrogen fixing shrubs, but this
            plant sounds just so irresistibly desirable - tolerant of drought, of
            acid and poor soil - I've got more than I could wish for of that - and
            a size which is not likely to demand any effort - definitely a must
            have for my collection. Though it may not fruit due to low chill
            winters, but I wouldn't expect it suffer otherwise from lack of cold.

            Re rhyzobia, I read once that such plants may nodulate anyway, but
            that one can tell whether they are actually fixing nitrogen, if the
            nodules are brownish inside, rather than white.
            According to some sources of information, even within the family of
            the Fabaceae, there are many different species or genera which require
            different rhyzobia.