Re: Lotus edulis

  • sjalge
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 29, 2008
      > But I wonder why one would want to grow this - due to the small pods -
      > rather laborious annual, unless sandy, stony or rocky soil is all you
      > have - where it may self-seed.
      > If I would get reasonably cold winters, I would prefer to grow the
      > Caragana arborescens - Siberian Pea Tree.

      Caragana arborescens would be great, and I prefer perennial species if
      I can grow them. Unfortunately, at this point I move around every
      couple years and so I am more restricted to annual species. I will be
      sure to add Caragana arborescens to the "if I ever settle down" plant
      wish list.
    • v.scherrer
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Geir Flatabø" <geirf@...> wrote:

        > Are you sure it is only the pod that denominates the name "edulis",
        > might it not be
        > that the whole plant is edible ???

        I don't think that "edulis" necessarily means that all parts are
        edible, but at:

        http://epic.kew.org/searchepic/detailquery.do;jsessionid=73EEC88396D7D40C8AE79005B6CCC1C6?requiredPage=1&scientificName=Lotus+edulis&datasources=ipni&datasources=mc&datasources=libcat&datasources=ebbd&datasources=ecbot&datasources=livcoll&datasources=herbcat&datasources=sid&datasources=sepasal&datasources=efz&datasources=kewweb&categories=names&categories=bibl&categories=colln&categories=taxon&categories=flora&categories=misc&detailDatasource=sepasal

        it reads:

        "Lotus edulis L.
        Uses: FOOD(Leaves, Seeds); ANIMAL FOOD(Aerial Parts); ENVIRONMENTAL
        USES(Soil Improvers)"

        Another issue with propagation by seed might be, or not, the right
        symbiotic soil bacteria. As I made the unfortunate experience that
        some nitrogen fixing plants can grow very poorly if the proper soil
        bacteria associated with it is not already present in the soil. For
        this reason it might be preferable to get potted plants.

        Vital
      • Gail Lloyd
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
               "edulis" in a botanical name only means that some part of the plant (or animal) is edible - not necessarily the whole plant (or animal).
               For instance, Pinus edulis has edible pine nuts, you can't eat the needles or the trunk.
               There is a clam that has a botanical name that includes "edulis" - you wouldn't eat the clam shell.
          Gail
          (horticulturist & M.G.)

          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
            As I have a shortage on herbaceous nitrogen fixers and soil improvers,
            especially self-seeding ones, let alone ones which yield something
            reasonably edible, I'm always keeping an eye open for any possible
            option. So I had a look for informations about Lotus edulis and it's
            preferred and/or tolerated living conditions. To get an idea whether
            it might be worth to consider this, one might want to take a look at:

            http://ecocrop.fao.org/ecocrop/srv/en/dataSheet?id=7412

            For a comparison with the asparagus pea see:

            http://ecocrop.fao.org/ecocrop/srv/en/dataSheet?id=1807

            For my poor and acid soil, so far - after trials with about a dozen
            different at least halfway promissing species - only the sowing of
            Lespedeza cuneata was successful in the long run. Unfortunately it
            doesn't self-seed on my location, but is amazingly shade tolerant.
            Though reportedly a low growing shrub, it grows more like a scraggy
            grass - though the leaves are of course different.
            Among the others I also tried to cultivate the perennial shrub Cajanus
            cajan, the pigeon pea. But either it was one of those missing the
            appropriate soil bacteria, or it wasn't a suitable variety, or both.
          • sjalge
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
              > http://ecocrop.fao.org/ecocrop/srv/en/dataSheet?id=7412
              >
              > For a comparison with the asparagus pea see:
              >
              > http://ecocrop.fao.org/ecocrop/srv/en/dataSheet?id=1807

              vital - Great links! For acid soil (if it is also sandy/rocky) and if
              you live somewhere cool enough you might consider Comptonia peregrina.
              It makes great tea, fixes nitrogen (symbiotically of course) and it
              is clonal so it will spread without having to seed. The Fabaceae form
              symbioses with rhyzobia which are common in many soils, so I would be
              surprised if the lack of their symbiont was the reason for the species
              failing. The way to be more confident in that assessment is to dig
              them up and see if the roots are nodulating. If they are then they
              have most likely found the rhyzobia and are failing due to other
              causes. Hope this helps.
            • v.scherrer
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 5, 2008
                Thanks a lot! This should help.
                Although I'm pretty well off with nitrogen fixing shrubs, but this
                plant sounds just so irresistibly desirable - tolerant of drought, of
                acid and poor soil - I've got more than I could wish for of that - and
                a size which is not likely to demand any effort - definitely a must
                have for my collection. Though it may not fruit due to low chill
                winters, but I wouldn't expect it suffer otherwise from lack of cold.

                Re rhyzobia, I read once that such plants may nodulate anyway, but
                that one can tell whether they are actually fixing nitrogen, if the
                nodules are brownish inside, rather than white.
                According to some sources of information, even within the family of
                the Fabaceae, there are many different species or genera which require
                different rhyzobia.