Re: Lotus edulis

  • sjalge
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 26, 2008
      Dan - Thanks, I have used Google (and other engines) to search and
      found those sites, but no seed source.

      Michael - Thanks so much I will check it out.
    • v.scherrer
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 26, 2008
        Just in case, Lotus edulis, which is a trefoil of sandy, stony and
        rocky places, is not to be confused with the water lotus, Nelumbo
        nucifera or -lutea.
        I found a supplier in Germany:

        www.biosaatgut.eu/detail.php?n=Lotus_edulis&detail=102&cat_id=bloemen1

        Just let me know if you like some more help.

        Cheerios

        Vital

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "sjalge" <sjalge@...> wrote:

        > I have found very little information about this species on the web. I
        > would like to try growing it in the United States. Does anyone know
        > of a seed source? If I cannot find a seed source I would at least
        > like to take a picture of it at Kew when I am there in a month. Does
        > anyone know where they grow it there (keeping in mind it will be my
        > first trip to Kew so I do not have a good sense of the place)? Thanks.

      • daniel wildman
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 26, 2008
          Here is a muti-search:
          http://www.bjorgul.com/

          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 26, 2008
            The picture / photo on the link is from
            Tetragonolobus purpureus...- Asparagus pea
            if those are synonymöus, - there are lots of suppliers of that one !?

            Geir Flatabø

            2008/7/26 v.scherrer <vital233@...>

            > Just in case, Lotus edulis, which is a trefoil of sandy, stony and
            > rocky places, is not to be confused with the water lotus, Nelumbo
            > nucifera or -lutea.
            > I found a supplier in Germany:
            >
            > www.biosaatgut.eu/detail.php?n=Lotus_edulis&detail=102&cat_id=bloemen1
            >
            > Just let me know if you like some more help.
            >
            > Cheerios
            >
            > Vital
            >

            > --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "sjalge" <sjalge@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I have found very little information about this species on the web. I
            > > would like to try growing it in the United States. Does anyone know
            > > of a seed source? If I cannot find a seed source I would at least
            > > like to take a picture of it at Kew when I am there in a month. Does
            > > anyone know where they grow it there (keeping in mind it will be my
            > > first trip to Kew so I do not have a good sense of the place)? Thanks.

          • Pat Meadows
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 27, 2008
              On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 05:51:49 +0200, you wrote:

              >The picture / photo on the link is from
              >Tetragonolobus purpureus...- Asparagus pea
              >if those are synonymöus, - there are lots of suppliers of that one !?

              It sure is. Geir is correct. I've grown this plant myself and I recognize
              it too.

              I can grow it, and have lots of the very pretty dark red flowers, as shown,
              but I cannot get it to make the pods; I don't know why.

              Our area has cooler summer weather than much of the USA - cool, fairly wet
              summers. Our average summer high temperatures are around 80F (27 C).

              If anyone knows how to get it to actually fruit, I'd be very interested.
              Thanks!

              Pat
              --
              Northern Pennsylvania

              CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
              http://www.thehungersite.com/
            • sjalge
              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 27, 2008
                It seems as though there may be some taxonomic confusion about the
                species Lotus edulis. The pictures I am familiar with from image
                searches show a Mediterranean species which looks typical for the
                genus Lotus (not confusing it with Nelumbo the "sacred lotus"). The
                Lotus edulis plant in the images has yellow flowers. When I looked up
                the "asparagus pea" I found a plant with red flowers and winged seed
                pots that look more like the genus Psophocarpus. If the information
                on the Brooklyn Botanic Garden page for "asparagus pea" is correct and
                they need a long hot growing season to produce pods it would explain
                the trouble growing it in Pennsylvania. It would also suggest that
                the "asparagus pea" which is being variably listed as Tetragonolobus
                purpureus or Lotus edulis may actually be a variety of the tropical
                plant Psophocarpus tetragonolobus. Information for which can be found
                at <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winged_bean> (in English).

                Sadly, this still leaves me with no seed source for the species I
                seek, the true?, Lotus edulis from southern Europe. Images of which
                can be found at <http://tinyurl.com/5sexm5> or at
                <http://www.maltawildplants.com/FABC/Lotus_edulis.php>

                If anyone knows a seed source for this species please let me know, I
                would be very greatful and I would also like to thank everyone for
                their help thus far.
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 27, 2008
                  Get a beehive...

                  Geir Flatabø

                  2008/7/27 Pat Meadows <pat@...>

                  > On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 05:51:49 +0200, you wrote:
                  >
                  > >The picture / photo on the link is from
                  > >Tetragonolobus purpureus...- Asparagus pea
                  > >if those are synonymöus, - there are lots of suppliers of that one !?
                  > >
                  > It sure is. Geir is correct. I've grown this plant myself and I recognize
                  > it too.
                  >
                  > I can grow it, and have lots of the very pretty dark red flowers, as shown,
                  > but I cannot get it to make the pods; I don't know why.
                  >
                  > Our area has cooler summer weather than much of the USA - cool, fairly wet
                  > summers. Our average summer high temperatures are around 80F (27 C).
                  >
                  > If anyone knows how to get it to actually fruit, I'd be very interested.
                  > Thanks!
                  >
                  > Pat
                  > --
                  > Northern Pennsylvania
                  >
                  > CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
                  > http://www.thehungersite.com/

                • Pat Meadows
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 27, 2008
                    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 18:44:52 +0200, you wrote:

                    >Get a beehive...

                    Sigh. I have the horrors at the thought of dealing with masses of bees. I
                    don't even like to see masses of bees on TV.

                    Some people are just *not* meant to be beekeepers, and I'm definitely one
                    of them. I could NOT do that, there's no way.

                    There are lots of bees around, however. We are in a quite isolated, very
                    rural area and everything else that I grow is pollinated very well, even in
                    this time of trouble for bees with Colony Collapse Disorder. I thought I
                    might need to pollinate the cucumbers and zucchini this year, but no. They
                    are pollinated very adequately by the bees. Wild bees, most likely.

                    Pat

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 27, 2008
                      On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 16:01:35 -0000, you wrote:

                      >It seems as though there may be some taxonomic confusion about the
                      >species Lotus edulis. The pictures I am familiar with from image
                      >searches show a Mediterranean species which looks typical for the
                      >genus Lotus (not confusing it with Nelumbo the "sacred lotus"). The
                      >Lotus edulis plant in the images has yellow flowers. When I looked up
                      >the "asparagus pea" I found a plant with red flowers and winged seed
                      >pots that look more like the genus Psophocarpus. If the information
                      >on the Brooklyn Botanic Garden page for "asparagus pea" is correct and
                      >they need a long hot growing season to produce pods it would explain
                      >the trouble growing it in Pennsylvania.

                      It would - I'm in northern Pennsylvania, in mountains too. OTOH, I have a
                      gardening friend in Kansas - with a LONG HOT growing season - and he has
                      the same problem.

                      I just don't know.

                      Thanks!

                      Pat

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 27, 2008
                        Probably then the species is not comercially available,
                        so you will have to contact botanic collections , they might have it in
                        their seed exchange programs,
                        or contact the guy who have made the photos - he might ??
                        or just go to the mediterranean to look for it...

                        Geir

                        2008/7/27 sjalge <sjalge@...>

                        > It seems as though there may be some taxonomic confusion about the
                        > species Lotus edulis. The pictures I am familiar with from image
                        > searches show a Mediterranean species which looks typical for the
                        > genus Lotus (not confusing it with Nelumbo the "sacred lotus"). The
                        > Lotus edulis plant in the images has yellow flowers. When I looked up
                        > the "asparagus pea" I found a plant with red flowers and winged seed
                        > pots that look more like the genus Psophocarpus. If the information
                        > on the Brooklyn Botanic Garden page for "asparagus pea" is correct and
                        > they need a long hot growing season to produce pods it would explain
                        > the trouble growing it in Pennsylvania. It would also suggest that
                        > the "asparagus pea" which is being variably listed as Tetragonolobus
                        > purpureus or Lotus edulis may actually be a variety of the tropical
                        > plant Psophocarpus tetragonolobus. Information for which can be found
                        > at <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winged_bean> (in English).
                        >
                        > Sadly, this still leaves me with no seed source for the species I
                        > seek, the true?, Lotus edulis from southern Europe. Images of which
                        > can be found at <http://tinyurl.com/5sexm5> or at
                        > <http://www.maltawildplants.com/FABC/Lotus_edulis.php>
                        >
                        > If anyone knows a seed source for this species please let me know, I
                        > would be very greatful and I would also like to thank everyone for
                        > their help thus far.

                      • sjalge
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 28, 2008
                          > Probably then the species is not comercially available,
                          > so you will have to contact botanic collections , they might have it in
                          > their seed exchange programs,
                          > or contact the guy who have made the photos - he might ??
                          > or just go to the mediterranean to look for it...

                          Geir - The last suggestion sounds like the best option to me!
                        • v.scherrer
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 29, 2008
                            The German (common) name on that web page indeed literally translates
                            to asparagus pea.

                            But I wonder why one would want to grow this - due to the small pods -
                            rather laborious annual, unless sandy, stony or rocky soil is all you
                            have - where it may self-seed.
                            If I would get reasonably cold winters, I would prefer to grow the
                            Caragana arborescens - Siberian Pea Tree.

                            Vital

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 29, 2008
                              > But I wonder why one would want to grow this - due to the small pods -
                              > rather laborious annual, unless sandy, stony or rocky soil is all you
                              > have - where it may self-seed.
                              > If I would get reasonably cold winters, I would prefer to grow the
                              > Caragana arborescens - Siberian Pea Tree.

                              Caragana arborescens would be great, and I prefer perennial species if
                              I can grow them. Unfortunately, at this point I move around every
                              couple years and so I am more restricted to annual species. I will be
                              sure to add Caragana arborescens to the "if I ever settle down" plant
                              wish list.
                            • Pat Meadows
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 29, 2008
                                On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 08:43:40 -0000, you wrote:

                                >The German (common) name on that web page indeed literally translates
                                >to asparagus pea.
                                >
                                >But I wonder why one would want to grow this - due to the small pods -
                                >rather laborious annual, unless sandy, stony or rocky soil is all you
                                >have - where it may self-seed.

                                Because it is such an attractive plant, and one that sprawls along the
                                ground, it's useful in a container - mixed with other plants - if you want
                                the container to be attractive as well as to produce food. It can droop
                                artistically over the edge of the container.

                                Many people only have a small front yard, or front porch, or front walkway
                                or balcony to garden on. They want their tiny area to be attractive as
                                well as productive.

                                I can understand wanting to grow asparagus peas in these circumstances.

                                I myself would like to grow it simply because I always want to grow any and
                                every edible plant I ever hear of - I am just simply besotted with
                                gardening! :)

                                I am fortunate enough to have a sizeable back yard where I can grow food
                                without worrying about it's 'prettiness' or lack of same, but not everyone
                                is so very lucky.

                                >If I would get reasonably cold winters, I would prefer to grow the
                                >Caragana arborescens - Siberian Pea Tree.

                                I'm not familiar with this plant, I'll look it up. Thank you. We do have
                                cold winters.

                                Pat
                                --
                                Northern Pennsylvania

                                CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
                                http://www.thehungersite.com/
                              • Steve Whitcher
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 29, 2008
                                  EURISCO lists 7 Accessions of Lotus edulis (4 from Germany) at
                                  http://eurisco.ecpgr.org/search/custom_export_result.php

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jul 30, 2008
                                    2008/7/29 v.scherrer <vital233@...>

                                    > The German (common) name on that web page indeed literally translates
                                    > to asparagus pea.
                                    >
                                    > But I wonder why one would want to grow this - due to the small pods -
                                    > rather laborious annual, unless sandy, stony or rocky soil is all you
                                    > have - where it may self-seed.

                                    Are you sure it is only the pod that denominates the name "edulis",
                                    might it not be
                                    that the whole plant is edible ???

                                    Growing Caracana does not exclude other edibles ??

                                    Geir FLatabø

                                    > If I would get reasonably cold winters, I would prefer to grow the
                                    > Caragana arborescens - Siberian Pea Tree.
                                    >
                                    > Vital

                                  • Renuga chock
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jul 30, 2008
                                      Hi.
                                      I was talking about Amaranthus retroflexus.  I am sending you a picture of it. Please let me know if this is edible. If so it might be in our lunch menu today Thanks
                                      -Renuga

                                      > The German (common) name on that web page indeed literally translates
                                      > to asparagus pea.
                                      >
                                      > But I wonder why one would want to grow this - due to the small pods -
                                      > rather laborious annual, unless sandy, stony or rocky soil is all you
                                      > have - where it may self-seed.

                                      Are you sure it is only the pod that denominates the name "edulis",
                                      might it not be
                                      that the whole plant is edible ???

                                      Growing Caracana does not exclude other edibles ??

                                      Geir FLatabø

                                      > If I would get reasonably cold winters, I would prefer to grow the
                                      > Caragana arborescens - Siberian Pea Tree.
                                      >
                                      > Vital

                                    • v.scherrer
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jul 31, 2008
                                        In case I conveyed an impression of discouragement, intolerance or a
                                        lack of understanding, I'm sorry, that was not really what I intended.
                                        I was merely trying to hint at a possibly better option for a plant of
                                        which the seeds seem, at least momentarily, hard to get.
                                        If there is still a need for more information, I read that people on
                                        the island of Corsica, France, eat the raw pods of Lotus edulis, and
                                        that this plant is known there under the common names "faux caroubier"
                                        and/or "lotier comestible".
                                        Anybody from Corsica or with contacts there, or the like, following
                                        this thread?
                                        Though it does seem to be a plant mostly found in Mediterranean
                                        regions and thus may have a heat requirement similar to the asparagus
                                        pea - unless one may be able to find some seeds of strains which grow
                                        near the limits of its northern range.

                                        Good luck with finding and growing these!

                                        Vital

                                        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Geir Flatabø" <geirf@...> wrote:

                                        > 2008/7/29 v.scherrer <vital233@...>
                                        >
                                        > > The German (common) name on that web page indeed literally translates
                                        > > to asparagus pea.
                                        > >
                                        > > But I wonder why one would want to grow this - due to the small pods -
                                        > > rather laborious annual, unless sandy, stony or rocky soil is all you
                                        > > have - where it may self-seed.
                                        >

                                        > Are you sure it is only the pod that denominates the name "edulis",
                                        > might it not be
                                        > that the whole plant is edible ???
                                        >
                                        > Growing Caracana does not exclude other edibles ??
                                        >
                                        > Geir FLatabø
                                        >

                                        > > If I would get reasonably cold winters, I would prefer to grow the
                                        > > Caragana arborescens - Siberian Pea Tree.
                                        > >
                                        > > Vital

                                      • v.scherrer
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
                                          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Geir Flatabø" <geirf@...> wrote:

                                          > Are you sure it is only the pod that denominates the name "edulis",
                                          > might it not be
                                          > that the whole plant is edible ???

                                          I don't think that "edulis" necessarily means that all parts are
                                          edible, but at:

                                          http://epic.kew.org/searchepic/detailquery.do;jsessionid=73EEC88396D7D40C8AE79005B6CCC1C6?requiredPage=1&scientificName=Lotus+edulis&datasources=ipni&datasources=mc&datasources=libcat&datasources=ebbd&datasources=ecbot&datasources=livcoll&datasources=herbcat&datasources=sid&datasources=sepasal&datasources=efz&datasources=kewweb&categories=names&categories=bibl&categories=colln&categories=taxon&categories=flora&categories=misc&detailDatasource=sepasal

                                          it reads:

                                          "Lotus edulis L.
                                          Uses: FOOD(Leaves, Seeds); ANIMAL FOOD(Aerial Parts); ENVIRONMENTAL
                                          USES(Soil Improvers)"

                                          Another issue with propagation by seed might be, or not, the right
                                          symbiotic soil bacteria. As I made the unfortunate experience that
                                          some nitrogen fixing plants can grow very poorly if the proper soil
                                          bacteria associated with it is not already present in the soil. For
                                          this reason it might be preferable to get potted plants.

                                          Vital
                                        • Gail Lloyd
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
                                                 "edulis" in a botanical name only means that some part of the plant (or animal) is edible - not necessarily the whole plant (or animal).
                                                 For instance, Pinus edulis has edible pine nuts, you can't eat the needles or the trunk.
                                                 There is a clam that has a botanical name that includes "edulis" - you wouldn't eat the clam shell.
                                            Gail
                                            (horticulturist & M.G.)

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
                                              As I have a shortage on herbaceous nitrogen fixers and soil improvers,
                                              especially self-seeding ones, let alone ones which yield something
                                              reasonably edible, I'm always keeping an eye open for any possible
                                              option. So I had a look for informations about Lotus edulis and it's
                                              preferred and/or tolerated living conditions. To get an idea whether
                                              it might be worth to consider this, one might want to take a look at:

                                              http://ecocrop.fao.org/ecocrop/srv/en/dataSheet?id=7412

                                              For a comparison with the asparagus pea see:

                                              http://ecocrop.fao.org/ecocrop/srv/en/dataSheet?id=1807

                                              For my poor and acid soil, so far - after trials with about a dozen
                                              different at least halfway promissing species - only the sowing of
                                              Lespedeza cuneata was successful in the long run. Unfortunately it
                                              doesn't self-seed on my location, but is amazingly shade tolerant.
                                              Though reportedly a low growing shrub, it grows more like a scraggy
                                              grass - though the leaves are of course different.
                                              Among the others I also tried to cultivate the perennial shrub Cajanus
                                              cajan, the pigeon pea. But either it was one of those missing the
                                              appropriate soil bacteria, or it wasn't a suitable variety, or both.
                                            • sjalge
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
                                                > http://ecocrop.fao.org/ecocrop/srv/en/dataSheet?id=7412
                                                >
                                                > For a comparison with the asparagus pea see:
                                                >
                                                > http://ecocrop.fao.org/ecocrop/srv/en/dataSheet?id=1807

                                                vital - Great links! For acid soil (if it is also sandy/rocky) and if
                                                you live somewhere cool enough you might consider Comptonia peregrina.
                                                It makes great tea, fixes nitrogen (symbiotically of course) and it
                                                is clonal so it will spread without having to seed. The Fabaceae form
                                                symbioses with rhyzobia which are common in many soils, so I would be
                                                surprised if the lack of their symbiont was the reason for the species
                                                failing. The way to be more confident in that assessment is to dig
                                                them up and see if the roots are nodulating. If they are then they
                                                have most likely found the rhyzobia and are failing due to other
                                                causes. Hope this helps.
                                              • v.scherrer
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Aug 5, 2008
                                                  Thanks a lot! This should help.
                                                  Although I'm pretty well off with nitrogen fixing shrubs, but this
                                                  plant sounds just so irresistibly desirable - tolerant of drought, of
                                                  acid and poor soil - I've got more than I could wish for of that - and
                                                  a size which is not likely to demand any effort - definitely a must
                                                  have for my collection. Though it may not fruit due to low chill
                                                  winters, but I wouldn't expect it suffer otherwise from lack of cold.

                                                  Re rhyzobia, I read once that such plants may nodulate anyway, but
                                                  that one can tell whether they are actually fixing nitrogen, if the
                                                  nodules are brownish inside, rather than white.
                                                  According to some sources of information, even within the family of
                                                  the Fabaceae, there are many different species or genera which require
                                                  different rhyzobia.