Maps to locate WILD FOOD SOURCE in town (and out!) i.e. berry bush, apple trees

  • Felisia
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 16, 2008
      Hi! Come and join us on our mission of mapping out all the wild fruit
      and edibles available in town (and out!) !!!

      MISSION:

      Locate WILD FOOD SOURCE in your city, town, area (i.e. berry bush,
      apple tree, fruit tree, mint, mulberry trees, figue trees, etc)

      Once food source has been located report to HQ and enter data
      (location, food type, important info). Once information is entered it
      appears on the Google Maps Database to your right. Add relevant info
      such as how to access location (subway stations, bus routes, bike paths).

      Verify food sources entered by other members; when needed, update
      database following procedure described above.

      Head quarters:
      Group:
      http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=56793145575
      Website:
      http://inthecommunity.googlepages.com/

      Great search to everyone!
    • nerdnooky
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 17, 2008
        I don't know if this is a good idea. It is IF the motive is
        protecting wild sites, with steps in place for security, and rules
        for observation. Otherwise it might be an open invitation for those
        who seek to harvest wild plants for their own ends, which could lead
        to ignorant/overt over-harvesting or disappearance altogether. If the
        forage site is on private property--that's the owners decision to
        offer it to the public. However, some wild species are very
        sensitive to uninvited disturbance of their habitat. And, face it,
        there are those who have no compunction in harvesting a now well-
        known easy mark.

        After checking out a few of these wild food forage sites, none have
        thoughts for any security of wild areas, and few have any concerns
        re: harvest/habitat disturbance. Sounds fishy (and dangerous) to me.

        Personally, I'm keeping my knowledge of local wild flora to a few
        select people who have proven they share the same LOVE of wild
        species. This way we know they will live on. We don't touch them,
        nor do we ever harvest them: why would we when alternates are easily
        available? They are left alone strictly for observation and
        enjoyment of their natural beauty for future generations.

        C.

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Felisia" <feli_wolf@...> wrote:

        > our mission of mapping out all the wild fruit and edibles
        available in town (and out!)
      • im_chatt
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 17, 2008
          I would love to help you in Texas...some how also please see my site
          and we could help you there too...would you like your own section? I
          am happy to do that...the site will be growing with more soon...it is
          an information and product site for greener and wholesome living
          www.bravegreenlife.org

          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Felisia" <feli_wolf@...> wrote:

          > Hi! Come and join us on our mission of mapping out all the wild
          fruit
          > and edibles available in town (and out!) !!!
          >
          > MISSION:
          >
          > Locate WILD FOOD SOURCE in your city, town, area (i.e. berry bush,
          > apple tree, fruit tree, mint, mulberry trees, figue trees, etc)
          >
          > Once food source has been located report to HQ and enter data
          > (location, food type, important info). Once information is entered
          it
          > appears on the Google Maps Database to your right. Add relevant info
          > such as how to access location (subway stations, bus routes, bike
          paths).

          > Verify food sources entered by other members; when needed, update
          > database following procedure described above.
          >
          > Head quarters:
          > Group:
          > Website:
          > http://inthecommunity.googlepages.com/
          >
          > Great search to everyone!

        • Felisia
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 20, 2008
            Great idea! If you sign-in to Facebook and then click the link to the
            group you will be able to join. I have added a link to your site on
            the group. If you do want to add our map and so on onto your page I
            would suggest creating a page for it and then redirecting it to our
            site. The map at www.urbanedibles.com doesn't currently accept entries
            out of Portland,OR but we have a programmer working on the code.

            Thank you,
            Felisia

          • Caribe704@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 21, 2008
              This site could be awesome, I am trying to get to it from work but facebook is blocked, but I have many sites to offer, have always thought the wild fruits were the sweetest!

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 21, 2008
                Hi glad you liked it ...I think it will be fun...I could do a page and
                add the link...if you could send me some info that you like I will
                make it and add the link in the page to direct it to your site...I
                will sign in this week to Facebook and if you could send me the
                information to make the page to my email I will get it done this week.

                Thanks for working together...hugs
                Lorie

                email: brave.life.earth@...

                ps the site will soon have a news letter to...which if you like you
                could send me little updates and I will add it as part of the
                newsletter...k

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 21, 2008
                  www.nhm.uio.no/botanisk/bot-mus/sopp/db-intro.htm#intro

                  here is an address to a database /map site for registered Norwegian finds of
                  fungi .
                  There is varying degree of detailes ...
                  So aif you are going to Norway, and want to pick Chantarellus, or Agarics,
                  you might look up where they have been found before.....

                  and most fungus - mushroom picking is free allowed for everyone in Norway...

                  I believe there is a similar mapping / database in Sweden - "Artdatabanken".

                  for wild flowers / herbs, there is coming a similar database also in Norway.

                  Geir Flatabø