Solanum elaeagnifolium/Silverleaf nightshade: Rennet replacement?

  • thedreamhood
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2008
      Hi!

      I've just joined the group, but I've been using the Plants For A
      Future Database for years.

      I have a big patch of what I think is Solanum elaeagnifolium
      (Silverleaf nightshade) in my backyard. I've uploaded some photos to
      the group's photo area, in case I've misidentified the plants. My
      photos are from two different locations and may be two different variants.

      The photo album is called 'Plants for questions'. (Since I'm sure I'll
      have more questions to ask as time goes on ;)

      The PFAF database doesn't list solanum elaeagnifolium, but the
      University of Michigan's Native American Ethnobotany site cites 18
      tribal uses, primarily for toothaches and as a rennet replacement.

      http://herb.umd.umich.edu/herb/search.pl?searchstring=Solanum+elaeagnifolium

      As a vegan, I'm very interested in rennet replacements. I'd also like
      to know if the plant has any value to wildlife. It grows and
      propagates very quickly and appears nearly impossible to kill, so
      finding a use for it would be great.

      Thanks in advance for any insights you can provide!