aracea toxins (re: composting/skunk cabbage)

  • ossi
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 12, 2008
      Hi,

      Just a note, that soluble oxalic acid of rhubarb and insoluble calcium
      oxalate crystals of water arum, taro and other plants of araceae family
      are different in the way they are poisonous to humans.

      Irritation caused by calcium oxalate present in plants can be increased
      due to proteolytic enzymes, which surround the crystals. In case of water
      arum, there are also other poisonous substances present which are not as
      far as I know fully chemically identified, but include aroine alkaloid
      (which resembles konine of hemlock), saponins and prussic acid.

      Traditional treatment for water arum roots in Fennoscandia is through
      careful preparation by cutting them into small pieces, boiling them (for
      half an hour), leaving them to dry for a few days and then grinding into a
      powder, which was used in baking (traditional baking meant usually
      fermented sour dough)... I wonder is it that cooking and discarding the
      water gets rid of the other toxic substances, but drying (and
      fermentation) is needed to remove rest of the oxalates ?

      ossi (fennoscandia)